025 Shortcuts (incl. Ctrl-Delete)

Hi all,

I just wanted to mark a few notes and corrections for the in-progress shortcut PDF that Lee provided in the post with the 025 beta release. If you notice that a command listed in the PDF disagrees with the menu in the program itself, the menu will be the right one.

Most important–Ctrl+Delete will send your document to the trash, not delete one word to the right. You can easily move it back by dragging it in the binder from the trash back to the appropriate location or by right clicking on it in the binder and choosing the location via the Move To context menu option.

Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down/Left/Right, which are shortcuts for a few layout options (Show/Hide Footer, Header, Toolbar, and Format Bar) won’t work on all systems; for some you won’t see anything happen, for others you’ll get exciting system changes like flipping your screen upside down. (You can flip it back, it won’t hurt anything–great for procrastination!) If you’re one of the victims, you can set your layout options via the menus: View>Show/Hide Toolbar, View>Layout>Show/Hide Footer, Header, Format>Show/Hide Format Bar.

Ctrl+T and Ctrl+Q appear to be switched: Ctrl+T will increase a paragraph’s first-line indent; Ctrl+Q will increase the hanging indent.

Ctrl± is listed as both the shortcut for Zoom Out and Strikethrough; due to the conflict, it only works as strikethrough when in full screen mode.

Ctrl+6 is to Title Case; it is not a toggle.

Yay we are finally talking shortcuts!

As far as I am concerned, a thing that would enhance the Scrivener experience are navigational shortcuts. I am such a keyboard person! I don’t mind using the mouse to move things around, but I hate having to touch it just to actually go somewhere.

Specifically, I would love to be able to navigate to the next (or previous) item in the outline without leaving full screen mode. For instance:

IN FULL SCREEN MODE
CTRL + ALT + ARROWS UP AND DOWN - Without leaving Full Screen editing mode, open the next/previous document from the outline

While using the main editor, as well, it would be great to navigate up and down the documents in the binder without having to touch the mouse. I tried the mapped SHIFT + ALT + SIDE ARROWS (as mentioned in the 025 Shortcuts PDF) but it doesn’t seem to work for me.

No sooner do I mutter about CTRL DELETE than I find this thread. :blush:

I’m too old to change my tricks - is it possible to have “user defined” shortcuts …

This particular one is driving me nuttier than squirrel’s hoard…

The shortcut will be corrected–it should work as forward delete when in any text editing area, and it’s a bug that Scrivener is treating it as “Send to trash” in that circumstance. So there won’t be need for reprogramming; it’s just in the interim until the next release you’ll have to watch out for using that shortcut. There’s not a way to define your own shortcuts, but if it’s driving you crazy enough you might be able to do something with a macro in AutoHotKey or the like.

Hey, I posted about this on the feedback forum (https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/ctrl-shift-wh-y/13536/3) and then saw this thread. Here’s my shortcut feedback:

Quick bit of UI feedback – What was the rational for mapping “paste and match style” to “ctrl+shift+y” versus “ctrl+shift+v”? It seems like the previous combination is far more “logical” and in keeping with other software (ie. that because the modification is to the general paste command, an additional key is added versus adding an additional key and changing one key).

Was “ctrl+shift+v” already mapped to something else in Scrivener? If not, is there any chance the next build might remap this command (note that “ctrl+shift+v” is also less of a finger stretch)?

Oh, I did see your comment there and I have in fact already passed it on to Lee, but I see I forgot to leave a reply. Thanks for the feedback!

I noticed a conflict between the manual and the program function today. Control+T (^T in the manual, at the bottom of page 112) indicates that key combination will bring up the Project Targets. As you mention earlier in this thread, that shortcut increases the paragraph indent.

I’m trying to figure out how to use the session target function, but I can’t see how to bring up the progress bar or text indicator in the footer to see that.

The manual and the tutorial are both a bit out of date, though they’re being worked on now so that they are up to speed for the 1.0 release. I don’t have the program accessible right this moment to double-check the shortcut, but you’ll find the project targets under the Project menu, and the shortcut will be listed there. That will let you assign a session goal, which is different from the target set per-document (which shows in the editor footer). The project targets is a floating window so you can toggle it on or off and have it open while you’re working.