1.0 rocks - but some possible tweaks

First; Congratulations! 1.0 is great. Once I have the hang of it, I can’t see myself going back to Word.

A few things would make it even more impressive:

Templates/Defaults for new documents, especially targets
I want to be able to set defaults for different levels of documents, especially word count, e.g. 6K for chapters and 2 K for scenes.
It would be good to have something like the Compile/Formatting pane, but letting me set tags and targets etc.

Chapter level progress should relate to Total Wordcount in child documents
At the moment progress is measured against local wordcount. This makes it impossible to check chapter wordcount if the chapters are built of scenes.
(This may be a bug, so I’ll also post it in that forum)

Splitting a scene should preserve the Scrivenings view
If I’m using Scrivenings view and I split a scene, the display suddenly switches to show just the new document. This rather throws me if I’m writing in flow.

Configuration window for Outliner Columns
If I want to switch on and off several columns, it’s really very annoying to have to keep repeating the same menu navigation. Let’s have a pop up window instead.

Title page should not be part of the outline
Yes, I know that it’s part of the output, but it’s not part of the story. Rather it’s an attribute of the Manuscript. Couldn’t the root folder have the option to take some text?

In Scrivenings, it should be possible to switch off chapter text and display chapter number and title only
If the chapter file isn’t supposed to contain text, then it would be more useful to see an auto generated “CHAPTER N” in the Scrivening display.

Document Templates: There will be something like this, yes. Anything (short of snapshots) that you do to a file could be used as the basis for a document template.

Container aggregate progress: There will be some additional columns that help with this that are planned. They will aggregate all goal settings within the collection and show how far along you’ve gone toward that. Right now you have to use the Total Words column and do the head math.

Better Scrivenings: Yup, and so should adding new files in the middle of a Scrivenings session, and moving items in the binder while a session is open should re-organise the session, and… yeah well lots of stuff. :slight_smile: We didn’t have time to implement the full suite of integration. The lack of it right now is not an oversight.

Outliner column window: Are you finding yourself switching between sets of columns on a frequent basis or something? There are a few things that could help:

1. One is the knowledge that each split uses its own column arrangment. So that right there gives you two alternate sets in any project.
  2. View/Layout/Manage Layouts gives you a way to set up stuff like this if you need multiple workflows.
  3. And of course you can set up projects the way you want them to work from the start, using Project Templates.

Title page somewhere else: It will. You’ll have the ability to establish a ‘Front Matter’ folder in the compile settings which can hold all of this type of stuff. Title page, ToC, Acknowledgements—anything else that isn’t strictly The Work. This will also make it easier to rapidly switch between e-book and proof prints, which might have totally different front matter. But as to whether or not the title page should philosophically be in the outline, that is entirely up to you. Some people for instance do not use the draft to store one thing. Journalists might put a dozen articles into the Draft. The program is very flexible, and has very few rules. So “Shouldn’t be a part of the outline” is a bit more rigid than the software should be. That determination should be up to the user.

In Scrivenings, it should be possible to switch off chapter text and display chapter number and title only: I’m not really following this one. What is “chapter text”? There isn’t a feature by that name—in fact Scrivener doesn’t even have chapter, when you get technical about it. I can say that adding titles to a scrivenings session is on the way; but it’ll be an all or nothing thing. The program can’t possibly know if you mean a folder with five files in it to be a “chapter with scenes”. That could just as easily be a “Part with Chapters”, or a “Character sheet with sections”. So you either turn on item titles or off. I’m not sure what purpose there would be in not showing the text of items in Scrivenings. If all you want is a list of titles—one of the other views would do better? If, however, you are looking for a way to hide your non-manuscript notes that are say, stashed in a folder, and you regularly load up a Scrivenings session by clicking on a folder, check out the option in the Navigation tab for not showing folder text in a session.

Personally, I like having that on as it’s one of the main reasons to stash chapter notes in the folder text—you can see them at the top of your Scrivenings session—but hey, we are all different. :slight_smile:

(Thanks for the reply. It’s easy to sound negative on these forums because it the good things about Scrivener - which I have just purchased and converted my WIP to - are obvious. I was also worried that I’d done something of a brain dump. The present product is fab. The new developments will be take it to a new level; I used to look forward to never having to use a help authoring tool again, now I dream of junking Word as well.)

So, chapter text:

If your novel is built of chapters containing scenes, then the chapters don’t contain any text - they’re parent entities. However, the chapter break itself also serves a literary purpose.

It’s therefore useful to see the chapter break, but not for it to take up much real estate. For example, when Include enclosing group in combined scrivenings is switched “off”, it would be good if the enclosing group (usually a chapter) made its presence felt with a thick black boundary line.

Since Scrivener is a powerful outlining tool, it would be even better if each file had the option Display synopsis text in Scrivenings. Or if this could be set globally based on labels.

The text would then look like this: