1.0 slow start repaired, and notable Backup issue

Great to be using the new release, and kudos pronounced elsewhere.

• It occurred to me after a while that I didn’t have the slow Scrivener startup the first time after installation – and on trying fresh starts, think it’s back to its old snappiness. Thus I think Lee’s work on slowdowns has been having effect. From what Jennifer says, there’s a wider attack to take place. Hopefully this will be with Lee enjoying the springtime adequately, out of the cave. Libations on the beach to follow.

• I did notice there was some menu change on Backups. Unfortunately the ‘Back up now’ item seems not to function - no backup is made.

This is kind of a crucial point, thus am mentioning it. The workaround is to just use the conventional ‘Back up to…’ dialog which works as before, and everything is remembered there, so it’s not a trouble. Would suggest a keystroke shortcut be added for Back up Now when it gets to working again.

Best and regards,
Clive

Using “Backup Now” creates a backup at the default backup location set in Tools>Options… under the Backup tab; it uses the same process as the automated backups but allows you to run it manually whenever you like. If you want to specify a different location for a specific backup, you’ll want to use “Back Up To…”

Hmm. This looks like a bit of a right hand-knowing-what-left-hand-is-doing issue. Or coding. If I understand it right.

So:

1. It seems that there are two distinct backup systems now. One is the one we have been used to, which operates under Backup to File… menu item. The other is one that we pre-configure if noticing it in Tools:Options, and then uses Back up Now menu item. Correct? Confusing…

2. Indeed, if I configure my Backup path in Tools:Options:Backup, Back up Now works as I expect it to. It produces a differently name-styled zip file name than the first method, even though I configured it to use date-time.

3. As well, I have to have been careful to set in Tools:Options that I don’t want it to automatically erase all but the last 5 backups. Kind of an important point, and feeling the default should be don’t erase.

4. Ok, I found the previous unconfigured backups did exist, in the normally-invisible-to-users AppData area of my user folder. I guess that’s why you have an ‘Open backup Folder’ button under Tools:Options:Backups.

I guess having two alternate backup spots can be useful, so maybe keeping both arrangements can be good, somewhat in the style of Scrivener, and with the don’t-erase-any the default option until someone configures the automatic options.

Quirky smile; goes with Keith mode I think. It’s all greatfully useful, and that’s the key.

Regards,
Clive

1. In a sense, yes there are two things now instead of one. The “Back Up Now” is tied in to the whole automated system which is meant to operate without any thought. That command will be most useful for any projects that are too large to feasibly allow routine backups on; or also just so that one can periodically fire one off into the automatic system during the working day, so as to not have to bother with file names, settings, and where to save them. The specific Back Up To… command is for the extra paranoid who want another set, or a set that is specifically milestones they recognise rather than session based. I use a blend, myself. I let the system handle things for me for the most part, using “Back Up Now” periodically if I’ve written a lot. At the end of the day I make one of my own to a separate location on Dropbox and let those accumulate. I am probably more cautious than the average person; especially since I am daily mucking about in alpha and beta builds. So in other words I agree with your conclusion: it can be nice to have two backup models if you want to. One just accumulates everything, even chaff, the other is intentional and so for those who are intentional beings, they’ll appreciate having some manner of control over when a backup milestone is created.
  2. The automatic name will be slightly different because it needs a counter token on the end. That way minute collisions don’t happen.
  3. Honestly, most people won’t even be aware of the feature. In support when I bring it up as a fail safe to get out of some syncing snafu or something, most people are surprised Scrivener even backs up. Considering that, accumulating years and years worth of backups with no limiter would probably not be the most responsible thing to do. Gigabytes will accumulate in this folder over time, otherwise.
  4. Yup. And if you want them more visible it’s easy to change.

Thanks for that, Ioa. No doubt that backup schemes can get very involved. The main emotion of it here was needing to regain confidence that all would be handled well with the surprise new system added to Scrivener Windows; and confidence is indeed restored.

I take your point that many will not be aware of the automatic backups. Given that’s the case, it occurs to me that a default Towers of Hanoi might be a useful thing to do. That way 10 files would give coverage on the order of a year, I believe – which could be useful when that older chapter gets unknowingly over-written. Idea?

The best thing about Scrivener is that it has diversity in methods going for it: auto-save, the non-emptying Trash, the Snapshots, and now we can understand the two forms of Backup. I agree with you about the intentional plus the unattended.

Regards,
Clive