1.02: Window Size Doesn't Adjust When Mvg Files Btwn Macs

Scrivener is a great app that keeps getting better. But I’ve found a minor bug in 1.02 that wasn’t present in 1.01. It seems to have something to do with the change in the way prefs are stored.

I work on two Macs, a 24" iMac and a MacBook. in 1.01, when I moved my Scrivener file between machines it would adjust window size automatically. In 1.02, the file seems to carry over its window size with it, so the window is either dramatically undersized (on the iMac) or waaaay too big, like off the edges of the screen (on the MacBook). This isn’t a big deal; I can fix it by selecting “Zoom to Fit Screen” under the “Window” menu. Still, it’d be nice to have the window size appropriately on its own, as it did in 1.01.

Thanks, and again, great job.

Aaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!! :slight_smile:

Lol, this really is the perfect example of how you can’t please all the people all of the time. I got sooo much grief from users about storing window size and so forth in the preferences file. Users moaned that this meant that the settings got lost when moving between folders, renaming and - yes - moving to another computer. So, to appease them, I changed the way the preferences were stored. The only downside of this - one I stressed over and over again but that most users said they could live with - is that if you move a file to another Mac, the window size will be maintained between them.

So, this is decidedly not a bug. It is just a result of the way the window sizes are now stored in the project. The zoom button will be your friend from now on when moving between computers.

And thanks for the kind words about Scrivener. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Yikes.

I’ll push the button, I’ll push the button.

bb

Okay, so this is genuinely funny. A great send-off joke for your vacation.

You may want to experiment with this conundrum in real life. Since you
are, in effect, changing platforms on your upcoming retreat, may I
suggest that during the first three days of your retreat, you not reset
your watch to Norwegian time. That will simulate the effect of working
on another computer while retaining your home screen prefs.

During the second three days, adjust your watch for Norwegian time,
but remove all your clothes, which of course, are based on your UK
wardrobe prefs. This will simulate the inability to transport your home screen prefs.

Having done both, you can then judge for yourself which is more suitable —
mentally adjusting the time, or walking around naked.

Don’t forget to take pictures.

Tim

Haha. I knew you’d get this one, Keith!

I think most users are used to documents carrying over formatting, including screen size, from one Macintosh (or resolution) to another, but are also used to the program being able to recognize windows that are too large to fit the screen and, transparent to the user, cropping the window to match the screen dimensions where necessary.

Anyway, thank you so much for implementing this feature for demanding plebes such as us!