1.2.5 problem with RTF Reader

I downloaded and installed the 1.2.5 beta. Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit.

Whenever I try to start the program I get a small part of an error window that starts

After I click OK. Scrivener opens up but I can’t read anything. When I click on a document in the binder, the editor screen ends up being blank. The error message pops up as well.

I’ve tried some ways to get it to find the files, but am unable.

Any ideas?

Alas, it’s DOA on my 64-bit system.

I reinstalled 1.1.0, changed my options to not bring up the last project. Cleaned out the old version completely & reinstalled. Then it doesn’t crash with this “rtf reader” message–which I can’t read because this is what the popup looks like:

I dismiss the popup and the project opens, but the files all appear blank. Whenever I attempt to open one, the popup comes up again, and then Scrivener crashes. I’ve confirmed that the data files with the text are intact, despite appearing to be blank in the Binder. Clearly Scrivener can’t read them.

Tried extracting from the tarball and just running it there; same result.

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.



For what it’s worth, I’m getting the cut-off error boxes, as well. (I was trying to compile something to MMD. Wait…unlike the windows version, you need it installed on the system, yes? Good lord I can’t brain: today my day started with trying to charge my Fuze with the camera’s USB cable.)

As long as I don’t try to open anything I seem to be able to do a few things, tried to compile to mmd.

I’d be interested to know where you ended up putting it. I use multimarkdown on its own, and have it installed in /usr/local/bin/multimarkdown and /usr/bin/markdown via links, but Scrivener complains that it can’t find it. Can’t find anyplace in the compile window to set it, as you can with kindlegen.

Should we fork MMD to its own thread? (And save this for the RTF reader/error box issue?)

That’s a good idea garpu. It will make it easier for the developers to get the info they need by follow dedicated threads, rather than digging around in one thread on multiple problems.

Hi RevDave,
If you create a project(Scrivener Tutorial) it fails loading the files the first time. After closing and starting Scrivener again it seems to be working fine. Does it work for you too, RevDave?
What you experience is definitely a reproducable bug under Linux that needs to be fixed.

I have exactly the same problem. I can’t access any of my work at all. Some projects open up, but nothing is visible, and every time I click on a document the rtf popup appears. Other projects start with the popup, and when I click it, Scrivener shuts down (I’m on Ubuntu 11.10 32bit).

Doesn’t work fine for me on restarting. Still exactly the same problem.

Hi Guys,
We have found a workaround for your problem, but would need a little work from you too.
Go to the Scrivener installation folder under Linux(the installer uses by default: /usr/share/scrivener/bin)
Rename the application file ‘rtfi’ into whatever you like for example: ‘mv rtfi no_rtfi’. Depending on your rights you might need to sudo your command i.e. ‘sudo mv rtfi no_rtfi’. This should get you up and running without problems.

Thanks tiho_d. This has got it up and running again :slight_smile:

Thanks! That solves the problem entirely.

Same here. Once I turned off font hinting everything looks great. Also happy to report that drag&drop in the binder no longer causes crashes.


Did that here:


This is intermittent for me. If I take it off then restart Scrivener, the document I was working on looks fine. However, each time I create a new document, it looks awful and I have to restart Scrivener again to get it to look right. Is that the case for you?

It seems to want to revert to hinting for new scenes during the first edit session. When I switch to another document (i.e., another scene) and then back again to the new one, the hinting turns back off. Restart may not be necessary if this workaround works for you.

Thanks tiho_d. renaming rtfi did the trick! didn’t think about trying that. I was trying to figure out all kinds of ways to get scrivener to find that file thinking the cut off error message was saying it couldn’t find it.

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out.

Thanks everyone.

Many, many thanks! This work-around worked for my #! (Crunch-Bang) Debian install, 32-bit.

No, that doesn’t work for me :frowning: Restart it is then.