1.5.3 BSOD on install

Hi there,

My computer BSOd’d in the middle of install of 1.5.3 and now when I try to open scriv I am getting this message:

The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running. Check you computer system infromation to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

What do I do?

I am on 64 bit.

Thanks
Cathey

Hi Cathey, I’d suggest just doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of Scrivener, since it sounds like the installation didn’t go smoothly. That’s likely to be all you need, since Scrivener should run fine on either a 32- or 64-bit system.

If one uninstalls, all one’s writing docs are saved, I assume?

Yes, your projects are saved externally to the program and aren’t affected by uninstalling, just like uninstalling Word wouldn’t affect any .doc files on your computer. When you first created a project, you’re prompted to choose a location to save it; by default this is your user Documents folder, but you may have chosen somewhere else. If you’re not sure where your projects are saved and don’t see them in the Documents, try running a search for “.scriv”–among the results you should see a [YourProjectName].scriv folder for each of your projects, and you can then check properties to ascertain the location.