1.9.5.0 update fails due to permissions

Hello.
The 1.9.5.0 update does not request admin install permissions via UAC and therefore fails to install if you are not running as an admin user. Please update this to request elevated permissions.

Thanks!

I had a similar problem, Dan, but you got here first. Let me outline the situation a bit, and include a picture.

  • More of us are running Windows as an ordinary rather than administrative user these days, which has long been recommended, and adds a lot of safety because malware can’t gain admin privileges if it slips through protection. In other words, not ‘game over’, thus highly recommended.

  • The great majority of installers work transparently with this now, by requesting admin permission before they do anything at all. You then provide a password for a separate administrative user, and the install goes properly ahead – as long as it is also careful not to use the admin user identity for deciding where files and registry entries etc. should be placed or permissioned.

  • The 1.9.5 updater/installer doesn’t do this yet, so when it hits the first problem with not being administratively permitted, it shows an alert dialog and halts. This is attached.

  • The workaround for now is to change your user type to admin, log out, log back in again, and run the Scrivener update or install again. It will re-download if an update. Now things go smoothly, and the last step is to reverse the change to your Windows login. Change to normal user, log out, log in, and you’re done.

  • how do you change your user type? This is in the Windows control panel, under User Accounts. On Windows 10, click Start>Settings, then type User, and you’ll see it listed. In Win10, logging in and out is conveniently under your username at the top of the Start menu.

Cheers to Lee and Tiho,
Clive
scrivperms.png

You can also Shift + right click the installer file and choose “Run as administrator”. No need to change anything. Still the problem with the new fonts directory is something we did not experience in our tests and should be looked after with the next installers.

Unfortunately this does not work with the built in update method that most users would utilize (at least not without manually hunting down the update file). I was using the update method when I first encountered the problem. Running the file as an admin will work with a downloaded installer file as a workaround, but in any modern app the updaters/installers should handle this gracefully and not require users to resort to such methods.

Just so. I’ve often run into problems with other softwares which don’t =implement their own privilege escalation.

Where I’ve gotten them to fix it, smooth sailing from then on. Most installers do this right.