1.9.6.0: Slight document selection bug

Context:

• I created a new Project late last night on Scrivener iOS, where it synced.
  • I think I synced first from a document, but then SiOS did it automatically when going to Project view. Not entirely certain.
  • This morning I opened the project from Dropbox on Win10, all up-to-date.

What happened:

• On opening in WS, I found myself looking at the second document in the Project
  • However, the first document was highlighted, as selected, in the Binder

I know I’ve seen this sort of thing before; probably a general problem with getting the Binder selection to match.

Kind regards to any involved,
Clive

This has been raised, and, I think, commented on in response somewhere in this forum or the iOS forum, but I can’t for the moment remember which thread. :blush:

Mark

The interface settings don’t sync between platforms, as they’re all rather different and in many cases wouldn’t make sense considering differences in screen size or available features. If I understand the issue here, it’s not a bug: Scrivener will remember the document that was loaded in the editor when syncing between iOS and Windows, but it won’t affect the binder selection. (Consider for instance that on Windows you may have a split editor, and the document selected in the binder might be for the second editor, or you might have collapsed all of that section of the binder, and automatically selecting it would change your current binder setup.)

You can use View > Reveal in Binder (Ctrl+Shift+8) on Windows to select the current editor’s document in the binder. On iOS, you can do this by tapping on the document title in the editor navigation bar.

Thanks, Mouton, kindly…

I understand now why it is as it is, given the flexibility of the editor(panes), and thanks for the keystrokes to rapidly repair. It wouldn’t always be immediately clear which binder item to click, if often

Stepping back a bit, though, I wonder whether some sensible heuristics couldn’t get this right automatically, at least a good bit of the time, leaving the fixups for other cases.

• if the last to have touched the project was Scrivener iOS, then it’s clear which document to select in binder, because there’s only the one editor pane – that wonderful split-pane ‘Reference’ doesn’t count.

• if a Windows or Macish Scrivener were last, on the other hand, the last editor pane selected in binder, or over-ruling that, the last pane clicked or edited in should be the one selected, on those platfforms or iOS, seems so anyway.

• there’s the complication that you can menu select an editor pane in one or more ways, but again, selection by whatever means should count as selection, thus marking the active for transfer just as it does in operation, no?

I may well have missed something, but it seems that at least most cases should be covered. Or not :wink:

Best,
Clive

In both the iOS and desktop versions, there are multiple ways to open a document in the editor without affecting the binder selection, so it’s never a safe assumption that the document in the editor must be the document also selected in the binder. Scrivener has always worked this way, and there are no plans to change it.

Cross-platform wise, this is also not new; macOS and Windows each use their own UI file, so users working between those platforms have been handling this for years. I think with a little time it won’t be too hard to get used to this when going back and forth with iOS, especially given it’s just a single shortcut or tap to bring up the binder selection if you want it.

hmm, Jennifer, had to think a bit with a little smile, about this one.

I do see how there are many possible states matters could be in as far as the editor choices before leaving a project.

Somehow this suggests to me even more strongly that opening the project again somewhere ought to consitently show a matching state for binder and editor, so that what you see at this later time will always make sense. Surely we can ourselves easily forget prior editor gymnastics, even done on only one machine?

I kind of hear the echoing voice of the dragon in the room (they still have those in Cornwall, right? – at least i think Ursula Le Guin thinks they may…). It reminds me of an old friend, who was head of business software architecture at the first place in the UK where I ever consulted. His favorite words, never less than well-considered, were: ‘Works as designed…’. And his designs were so good I could depend on them out in the wilds with a panicked customer, even if I wasn’t aware of the specifics, helping when I was there on other aspects that I controlled.

The best design has a degree of being ever fluid, I guess I well think, or experience teaches; but also that the real measure is in how well it helps us as ordinary people to just use, often better than we need fully to understand, the increasingly powerful tools each of our wizardry helps create. When they show ‘where they are at’ visually, this generally comes true, I think.

Kind regards to any involved, as ever,
Clive