The new Windows beta 1.4 has been released and can be found here:
Scrivener for Linux will be available tomorrow - sincere apologies for this delay.
Beta 1.4 will expire on the 30th Jan 2011, so you don’t need to worry about not being able to access your work. You can either uninstall the previous version - which is the preferred option, or install straight over the top of the existing. In both cases, any files updated in the previous Scrivener install directory will be backed up automatically; however, I’d still err on the side of caution and backup you .scriv project folders (these are your Scrivener projects).
This release was mainly focused on getting the rich text engine into a much more robust state, so for many users there’s no whiz-bang amazing difference. I believe we have ridden Scrivener of 95% of the RTF related bugs that we had earlier. Out of the 45 problematic files RTF files that we’re sent to me, 42 now pass without issue. So, it’s not perfect but definitely a damn site better than before and we’ve run out of time as the existing betas expire on the 12th Dec 2010 - so we have no choice but to release.
We found a bug late Friday in testing exporting tables to Word in 2010 which we need to fix ASAP. We also pulled out a large change on Thursday regarding introducing extensive import and export capabilities as the interface was too flaky and we were running out of time to fix it. We decided to pull the feature and look at rolling it out as an interim update to those folks that want it in the next week or two. The capability will include adding the following import and export functions:
EXPORT support for: PS, ODT, DOC, DOCX, HTML, MHTML, XML, EPS, WMF, EMF, SVG, SWF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG, TGA, PCX, PCL.
IMPORT support for: DOC, DOCX, MHTML, PPT, PPTX.
We also need to address import support for further international code pages (the reason why the remaining 3 rtf files didn’t import perfectly). Whilst Scrivener is fully Unicode enabled, imported data may not be, so until we can map these older imported formats and then save as Unicode - there may still be the odd issue here. We should have this all sorted out soon.
So, what’s been fixed in 1.4:
- RTF Import and export problems have been fixed.
- Changing fonts, font size and font families have now been fixed.
- Problems with lists, and images in the editor have been address.
- Table cells sizes now remain as well as many other table related bugs are fixed.
- Issues with Scrivener links have now been address.
- Scrivener links between Mac and Windows has been addressed.
- Transferring German projects from Mac to Win changes the umlaute. ö becomes š, ü becomes Ÿ and ä etc - fixed.
- Compiling to RTF and including title no longer creates 1000+ page output and every character to run on a single line down the left-hand side of the page.
- Compiling to RTF you can now include footnotes and they are rendered to correct RTF style footnotes.
- Compile to text results no longer duplicate every card text.
- When nothing is selected in the binder and you exit Scrivener and then restart and click on any mode no longer crashes Scrivener.
- If a link is at the end of a sentence hitting return no longer continues the link to the next line.
- Vanishing and re-appearing text issues have now been addressed.
- Cut and paste from Word RTF no longer adds.
- Space added end of each paragraph a space at the end of every paragraph.
- All accents are now maintained by the editor e.g. Ç ü é â ä à ç ê ë è ï î ì Ä Å É æ Æ ô ö ò û ù ÿ Ö Ü á í ó ú ñ Ñ ¿
- Tables row and column box no longer hang when you highlight values and change values by typing.
- On format menu changed struck through to strike through
- You can now select more than 20 characters (as much as you like) and click to auto-populate synopsis button.
- To RTF has been fixed
- Added support for Postscript and PDF.
- There is now a familiar Windows “Exit” command on the file menu instead of a Quit.
- Split screen tooltips now reflect correct horizontal or vertical values
- The vertical split screen can now be activated by CTRL+SHIFT+”
- Various tutorial corrections.
- Fixed hideous bug when creating back-up of a project and opt to use a non-zipped up version. This created multiple copies of folders within folders that could then not be deleted.
COMMENTS ON DICTIONARY OUTSTANDING BUGS:
- Dictionary doesn’t remember learned words between different projects
The dictionary is currently enabled to learn words on a project by project basis. Learned Words on one project are not known words in another project. This needs to be changed or an option given to the user to make the scope Scrivener wide instead of project specific - I know a lot of people are craving for this - we will get to it ASAP.