2.4.1 update issues …?

I recently updated from to 2.4.1, and I’m having two new issues since doing so.

First, my quotes are now straight by default, whereas they used to be smart. I can figure out how to convert them retroactively through the Format>Convert menu, but I can’t figure out how to have them smart to start out with.

Second, my spell check is no longer working. It’s turned on, but it doesn’t flag any misspellings while I’m typing (although it will pick them out if I do Edit>Spelling and Grammar>Show Spelling and Grammar).

Is anyone else having these issues after updating? Do you know of a fix for either?

Thanks.

That sounds like a known issue with what we currently believe to be some instability in OS X’s spell check engine. It’s unusual that you only noticed it once running the update to 2.4.1, because in our experience this bug has been around ever since a string of OS X updates around a year ago. There was a release to both 10.8 and 10.7 that caused this problem to appear rarely but steadily—but without doubt in versions that pre-date Scrivener 2.4.1. Did you perhaps also update your operating system recently?

As for why, the only lead we have at all right now is that multi-lingual documents and automatic language detection may be behind the problem. That particular detection system has been a bit flaky for years, but one user who had this problem recently reported that she is writing in more than one language, and that switching the spell checker to manually only use one language instead of auto-detection help clear the bug.

To change the spelling language: go to Edit/Spelling and Grammar/Show Spelling and Grammar and look at the drop-down menu for language selection at the bottom of the panel. If it says “Automatic by Language”, then try changing this to your preferred language variant for spell-checking. Some users have found that changing this to a manual setting resolves the issue.

I haven’t updated my OS recently, no. I tried setting the language, but it didn’t help. Thanks for the ideas, though.

That’s too bad. I wish we knew more about what caused this. If you find any way of alleviating the problem let us know so we can add it to the list.

I love reading the forum, and today I learned about shifting spellcheck to a different language. Thank you, Amber, for mentioning the person who writes in multiple languages. This will help me, too.