2.9.9.3 - Outline Data is Wrong - Being Saved Incorrectly

Version: 2.9.9.3 Beta (894377) 64-bit - 13 Apr 2020

I installed RC3 this morning and something has changed in the way the Outline Data is being written (saved) and read back in. It is now broken to the point that I cannot use it.

I have opened it up in two different spreadsheet programs (Google Sheets and LibreOffice) and both have the same problem, It is not being loaded correctly, which means that something has changed with the way it’s being written to the *.csv file.

I have made NO CHANGES to any of my text, titles, or anything that would affect the output. I simply opened the outline, exported the file-- same name, same everything, and it now has a problem.

What worked CORRECTLY Yesterday under 2.9.9.2 is BROKEN Today under 2.9.9.3.

I’m looking at the *.csv file in a straight text editor and it looks like there is a problem with the way it’s handling long text fields that may have spaces & commas in them. (All of the “broken” lines that I observed do have spaces and commas in them, and newlines for some reason). I think the issue is that it is missing the opening double-quotes in the first text field. I did not examine every field in the line closely, so there could be other issues as well. My guess is that someone made a change that affects the way that long text fields are being handled.

Here is an actual excerpt from the file for one of the lines that has a problem. I have replaced my text with X’s, everything else including newlines, punctuation, etc. is the same:

[-3d 10:00] XXX: XXXXX XXXXXX - XXXXX XXX XXXXX,XXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXX XXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXX XXXXX.
 
 SO: XXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXX XX X XXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXX XXXXX
 
 BUT: XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XX
 
 THEREFORE:  XXXX'XX XXXX XX XXXXX XXX XXXXX XXX XXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXX XXXXXXX XX XXX XXXXXXX.,f_XXX_XXXX,No Status,Section Start,2/24/20 10:29 PM,4/10/20 9:32 AM,484,2621,true,600,Words,484,484,2621,f_XXX,600 words,484,"","",""

Libreoffice imported (somewhat) correctly for me IF I turned off tabs, spaces, and semicolons as delimiters. ONLY commas allowed to delimit.

New Lines were not part of the CSV file (and the synopses have a few in them).

The export DID, however, change my carefully named Metadata fields to Custom Metadata 101, Custom Metadata 102, etc.

I really hope this can get fixed. I have a spreadsheet I built to help me track my novel. I drop in the Outline.CSV file and it generates stats, reports, multi-threaded timeline, etc.



@jwhitten: I just tested this and it worked in my example. Make sure that you select the same text encoding as before. The default should be “Unicode (UTF-8)”. Most likely you have changed this accidentally, as nothing has changed here.

@rwfrantz: I also could not reproduce the Custom Meta data field name issue. Can you please upload a small project that shows the problem. Most likely something in the order of the columns is causing this.

I just did it again at your request, same problem. I have changed nothing on my end, the settings are exactly the same as they have been. Where would you like me to FTP or EMAIL the file to?

2020-04-14 12_40_19-C__Users_mason_Dropbox_My Novels_Scrivener-3.0-BETA_Further Adventures of Mason_.png

Please, send it to: tiho at literatureandlatte dot com

Hi TIHO,

Please check your email. I just sent you a copy of the file.

Thanks for all your assistance!!

JWhitten

Thank you very much TIHO and everybody else who helped work on this issue.

I can confirm the problem is RESOLVED !!!
(And it worked the very first time.)

For anybody else who’s interested, they sent me a repaired version of the executable and I am given to understand that the fix will be included in RC4 when it comes out next week.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

JWhitten

Sent. I tried it again, after shortening most text. The same issues remain.

Thanks, rwfrantz! The custom meta data column titles has been fixed and will be available in the next update.