25th MARCH - LEE"S UPDATE - FINAL BETA RELEASED

rswirsky - You need to completely uninstall the previous beta (020) before installing the new one. It sounds like you may not have done that, and it could be causing the trouble.

CrispKyle - Try dumping your browser cache/refreshing the webpage. It’s there; your browser just isn’t seeing it.

Hi MM,

Alas, that doesn’t seem to help. I’ve uninstalled everything & tried blanking and reinstalling the new version a couple of times, but I only end up back with the error message. (Thank you for the very quick advice, though, and any more you have would be appreciated.)

We had a thread a while back on the Mac forums by someone who asserted that “Professional writers only write in white characters on a blue screen”, and so wanted the whole interface of Scrivener changed to that as otherwise it couldn’t be considered a serious, professional writing tool …

The ways of the world are many! :smiley:

Mark

Dude… Someone took that position with a straight face, or was it a troll?

Of course, there are still people who claim that nothing produced on a computer should be considered art of any kind. When I hear that I tell ‘em, yeah, and screw brushes and canvases and the like, too; If you can’t do it on a cave wall with your bare hands using natural pigments you gathered and mixed with the blood of your tribe’s enemies, it ain’t art. And writing? Bah! Oral tradition is where it’s at, baby. None of that sissy “language” stuff, either. Grunts and whistles and pointing a lot were good enough for Australopithecus, and they’re good enough for me. Evolution of the form nothin’. Nope… Won’t catch ME evolving.
:smiley:

Seriously, though: When the electric guitar was still bleeding-edge technology, there were those who swore that anything played on it wasn’t really music. Then of course we heard the same thing about synths, keyboards, MIDI, and what have you. Now they’re saying it about that new MIDI-esque instrument that looks like a guitar.

I imagine that when the word processor was invented, there were those who insisted that all “real” writers used typewriters (preferably manual ones like I learned on, as opposed to them thar newfangled electronical ones). And with the advent of the typewriter, I’ll bet that there were those who insisted that to be a real writer one must write all manuscripts by hand. With a quill. In squid ink.

Me, I figure a “real” artist of any type is one who strives to create art.

Subject: Auto start app from final install page does not work.

I swore I left the box checked for “starting the application now” and unchecked show me the read me this time and still, the app did not start. This occurred last time as well, but I did have the read me displayed. I don’t see the app in the task manager.

To uninstall,I tried just to delete the icon, but I was not prompted with the new message about it only being an icon, do I want to delete the app message. So I went to the Control Panel and unistalled it from there. It requested a reboot, so I let it. Then I installed from the link in via the message about the app expiring today. After all of the install actions took place, I waited for the app to start, but as noted above, it did not.

Thanks,
D

Not to further hijack, but in that thread was a freaking brilliant parody of the Major General’s Song from Pirates of Penzance. I literally laughed until I cried.

Is it possible that your date is off on the computer, letting the computer think that it is after April 10, 2011?

Carp, thanks - you reminded of the other bug I need to make sure is in the list, spelled out below.

But first, I checked, and verifyI also have those zero-length files in parallel with each folder within the zip archives. They can be seen very easily with 7-zip, and they do prevent it from extracting any of the folders.

It’ll have to get fixed, but a workaround (and why I didn’t see this before) can be to use Windows Compressed Folders to double-click open and then drag-drop the backup Scrivener folder. It’s there by default I think from Windows XP on.

Now, the other issue about Backups is what’s on the dropdown menu for their location.

1. The default offered is C:\Program Files\Scrivener, which am sure is understood as a no-go.
  2. Would think the actual default should be [My] Documents, depending on if Win7 or earlier, and trying to not get mixed up any more than that in concepts of Libraries :wink:.
  3. Browsing for an alternate folder does work, but doesn’t stick. Seems good that the dropdown menu should gain the choices you’ve browsed to and saved in.
  4. Also that this folders list for the menu should be per-project
  5. It should then be easy to have the Backup location default to the last place you used on each project.
  6. Icing on the cake could be a default preference folder for new Projects

It might be that some of this is partially implemented, because I did see occasions where the menu had different from the usual choices. However, the standard four were there when I went back to use Backup to Project again.

Thanks, Lee, and for your patience with the inevitable details, if it can save effort. MalignantCarp, besides benefit of your knowledge, I always get a charge out of that name. And Mouton too :wink:

Hope everyone is on for a nice week-end.

Cough. I’d be embarrassed about that if I weren’t so pleased to be able to open my novel on this computer. (I had managed to get the backup open on y other laptop, but this is much easier.) Thanks and, er, sorry.

Date issue? What date issue?
Your secret is safe with us.
Ain’t nobody seen nuffin’, right, youse guys?

Ain’t got no clue whatchuse talkin’ 'bout.

Wow, I’m tired just reading this. You guys are awesome! And what commitment to your chores, Lee. Where are the pictures? :smiley:

I have a problem… I’m trying to view my manuscript in scrivening mode, but the bottom half or so is white and won’t turn black. I don’t know if this can be fixed, or you just have to wait for a while, but if it can, please do!
I’ve really been enjoying Scrivener, thanks a lot for all the hard work!

Well, I think they’ve disappeared, so may be it was large and hairy and lived under a bridge … Actually, the Scrivener forums have been very troll-free. But whatever it was, it got pretty short shrift!

Anyway, here where I am, in the Land of the Great Firewall, real writers write with a brush using ink that they grind on a stone, which they’ve probably paid more for than I have for this MacBook Air.
:slight_smile:

Me too … it was brilliant. But Garpu, you have to bear in mind that until the advent of the Windows and Linux forums, hijacking threads was de rigeur within two pages, and turning the discussion to linguistics was often normal behaviour. To me, that is one of the things that has made the Scrivener community such a great community … no trolling (What never? No never. What NEVER? Well hardly ever!" :wink: ) no flaming, no rows … and a lot of fun; but at the same time people really doing all they can to help those in need.

Mark

Holy cow! Look at all that work you did! applaud! I just wanted to say again how happy I am to have discovered this software, and thank you for being brilliant. :smiley:

I see what you did there…

This is an issue that was reported on an earlier beta and still exists in 021. Imported PDFs that have been annotated with highlights come in with the highlight obscuring the text. You can work around it by adjusting the opacity of the highlight when you make the annotations–the text then becomes visible through the highlight, which for some reason gets moved to a layer in front of the text when read in Scrivener.

Additionally, my comments made in Preview (on the Mac) aren’t visible when I import the PDF into Windows Scrivener–I get the comment indicator, but the note itself doesn’t appear.

pdfonwindows.png
pdfonmac.png

I’m running XP Pro with SP3, but I can tell by the fancy toolbars in one of the linked thread’s screenshots that people are having this on more recent versions of Windows, too. :wink:

Thanks for all your amazing hard work, Lee! This is a huge update and it’s looking so, so good.

Dude… You and I need to talk about a stone-and-ink-smuggling… er… I mean import-export business.
:smiley:
(Now where did I put that damn squid…)

Some quick reports, after playing around with the latest BETA:

1. When using the comic script screenplay template and compiling for Microsoft Word or RTF, the right indent (maybe the other term for this is right margin?) appears to be wrong after its imported in word. Scrivener has the right indent for “panel description” at 6 1/2 inches in the template, but word imports as a right indent of 7 inches. (I have word 2010 installed)

2. If you create a new text, type a line of text, then hit enter a bunch of times, to create a bunch of blank lines going to the bottom of the screen, you are now stuck editing the document with new lines at the very bottom, you can’t scroll down further in order to bring the text higher on the screen. This is not ideal for both aesthetic and practical reasons, the screenplay element selection or auto fill choices pop up on the bottom, and don’t have enough room to appear. To reproduce this, try hitting enter a bunch of times, go to the page number element, and the autofill box will pop up, likely the whole box won’t be displayed because its too far at the bottom of the screen to fit. If we could scroll down further than the text I think it might fix that issue…

3. Not sure if this is a bug or “feature not yet implemented” but if you import a document containing “ALL CAP” text font formatting from an rtf or word document, the all cap portions are not preserved, they import as mixed case.

4. Not sure if this is a bug or “feature not yet implemented” but “copy style” and “paste style” does not copy or paste styles which are set with the screenplay script settings.

My practical issue is that if I decide to change a screnplay format to add or remove “all caps” , there is no way to do this without retyping all lowercase dialogue to uppercase. Even pasting into word, changing the case, then copying and pasting back to Scriviner causes any all caps styling in word to be changed to lower case.

Anyway, this is a very exciting tool! I’m looking forward to writing some scripts with it.

LOL, I used to have one of those mainframe monsters in my basement too. Got it at a public TV auction way back when… Luckily, I moved and it didn’t. :smiley:

I’m sitting here running, of course, OS X on my 27" Quad core iMac (Not a pro because I travel with it and the Mac Pro is way too big for that.) This makes me brilliant according to the Mac user forums, but I also run Windows in VMware (I do still love PhotoImpact) and Linux in Parallels and that makes me, what? And all at the same time… Very brilliant but also Very idiotic or something according to the same forums!!! And of course, all the while bitching about the machine slowdown :cry: but assuring my wife :laughing: that a WhisperStation with 4 Tesla Fermi GPUs running 448 cores X 4 would … and maybe I really need 24 main cores to aid her in balancing her checkbook… :unamused:

I do love my Scrivener!!! Ready and willing and waiting to send you some cash :mrgreen: !!! Thanks for all your great work!