29 crashing on opening docs

Trying to open an existing doc while working on another crashes this update.

I tried deleting 26 and going with a fresh install of 29 and it didn’t help. Used both the open command and the recent projects menu–same result.

(Windows Vista 64 bit)

I can confirm this behaviour.

Huh, I can’t make it crash.

I had a project open. I opened another from the menu (file-open), did some stuff on it, and no crash.

I can confirm this behavior; Beta 029, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

It happens when opening a second project, or creating a project at all (even if none are open, ie., just the welcome screen).

I can confirm this too. A bit worrying since I like to have a few different projects open at once.

I now can’t open anything in Scrivener from the Recent Projects Menu. I can open them if I go to the project folder and click on the .scriv. Doing this with one project open and trying to open another crashes Scrivener.

It didn’t crash for me. I opened two projects, then imported a doc, an rtf and a pdf, then created a new project - all without a hitch.

Yeah I opened every document I have, and I couldn’t get it to crash.

I did notice that Scrivener doesn’t crash Steam anymore. :smiley:

Lucky you, garpu. I have to ask are you using Beta 29?

Hopefully Lee can figure out what’s causing the rest of us to crash.

Yup. Version released this morning. This is with linux/wine, though. (Not sure if it makes a difference, since file handling is different. You can have the same version of a file open twice with linux, and you can’t always with windows.)

It definitely seems that you cannot have more than one project open using the Open or Recent Projects menu commands. I shall try opening more than one from Windows Explorer and report back.

Also happens when you try to open a second project via Windows Explorer as well as from within the program.

Here are the error logs I managed to find:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 15/08/2011 14:56:41
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Stacey-PC
Description:
Faulting application Scrivener.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4e4746db, faulting module Scrivener.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x4e4746db, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0006d1c9, process id 0x1270, application start time 0x01cc5b52a420ca40.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Stacey-PC

Scrivener.exe
4e4746db
Scrivener.exe
4e4746db
c0000005
0006d1c9
01cc5b52a420ca40

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 15/08/2011 14:57:38
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Stacey-PC
Description:
Fault bucket 2563204144, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Scrivener.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 4e4746db
P4: Scrivener.exe
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 4e4746db
P7: c0000005
P8: 0006d1c9
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Stacey\AppData\Local\Temp\WER12A6.tmp.version.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Stacey\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report1837efe9
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
Stacey-PC

APPCRASH
None
Scrivener.exe
4e4746db
Scrivener.exe
4e4746db
c0000005
0006d1c9

C:\Users\Stacey\AppData\Local\Temp\WER12A6.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Stacey\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report1837efe9

Hope that helps.

Also I just did a clean uninstall/reinstall but that had no effect either. Scrivener still crashes when opening a second project.

I apologize for all the posts but this bug is really bugging me since I tend to have more than one project open at a time.

I can confirm that 029 doesn’t seem able to to create a new project.

Every time I try this, regardless of template, it crashes.

For the time being, as a work-around I guess I can use Save As with current projects, and strip everything out.

Imagine this needs to get fixed promptly to keep the sense of stability for Windows Scrivener.

Regards,
Clive

Edit: installed over last, Windows 7 Professional, lots of ram & disk space, stable fully updated machine

Ok, I can add more:

• I think others are correct, that the real problem is that Scrivener crashes if more than one document tries to open. Evidence follows.

• 029 crashed on trying to create templates I tried.

• it failed completely on creating blank template projects, and couldn’t open any on restart.

• however, I got a surprise later, since the last template I tried was Novel. This crashed on creation. However when I restarted 029 later, the Novel template-created project was there.

• trying to open valid prior projects crashed 029 when any other was open.

Ergo, think it is multiple projects capability of 029 that has become broken. Creating a project just is another way to attempt having multiple open, when you do it from having one open already.

Suggestion: the Windows Scrivener project needs a real regression testing plan and its execution, before it can make it into any gold release or RC states. A practical matter everyone always runs into, so don’t feel badly about it.

Regards,
Clive

Thanks for all the reports, guys, and I’m really sorry about this. I haven’t been able to reproduce this yet, but I’ve alerted Lee and sent him the crash reports. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

Hi All,

I will be looking at this properly in the next few days. If I can duplicate and fix this I will release an update which will be a good test for the ‘Check for Update…’ functionality.

It should not be difficult to fix.

Lee

If you’d benefit from any additional information, just say so.

If it helps, all my crash reports look like Stacey’s.

Relevant code and location, in Scrivener.exe:

Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0006d1c9

Regards,
Clive

Windows 7 32-bit, all up-to-date, 4GB Ram, lots of HD, installed over previous version, etc…

Ok, one more point concurred with.

I tried a full deinstall, as Stacey did, and made sure I renamed the Scrivener folder. Then reboot and install 029.

First try at two projects open, the same crash, and same application point in the Event log. It seems here at least a very hard fail.

One thing I did notice is that Scrivener is keeping enough information in the registry that it prior projects were known, and a project to start on, though that may or may not be the last one I had open.

I’m not thinking it’s worth a registry comb-out as that shouldn’t really be involved in such a crash. Famous last words…

C.

I was able to open up 6 different projects without any problems. And two of them are pretty big.

WIN XP Service Pack 3, latest upgrades