99 backups ...... Help :)

Hi again…

I have Scrivener backups set to be located on my Dropbox account, and set to ‘auto’ and to ‘backup on closing’. Not for any strategy. I just left it like that.
[I attach screenshot which I hope is useful]

But I just got a ‘space full’ notice from Dropbox and when I went to the backup folder I found 99 backups … each about 27 - 30Mb

As you see from my prefs I thought it would limit it to 5.

Q: How do I get the right settings to limit back ups to about 5 ? I really don’t need earlier versions to reference previous work other than most recent. What I would like is to keep a few recent backups, and one historical backup every month. This is why I was manually copying the latest backup to another ‘archive’ folder once a month, and renaming it, before I discovered this huge number of backups.

PS: I have about 14k words written + about 10 web pages + about 10 small images. But each backup file is ~30Mb. Is this about right ? Seems really big to me.
Screenshot 2014-04-21 02.08.19.png

If you move your backups, they are not included in the limit on the number. If you use “save as” to create milestone versions, then each uniquely named copy of your project gets its own set of backups. Maybe that explains your plethora of old backups when it should only be keeping 5?

To create a milestone backup, I suggest using File->Back up->Back Up to… which lets you name that backup instead of using the default file naming scheme.

The size of each backup (and presumably the main project itself) is probably due to the number of images in your web archives. Also, unless you empty out the trash folder in Scrivener, anything in there will of course contribute to your project file size. If you turn on the zip compression of your backups, that should save you some room.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck!

If you use “save as” to create milestone versions, then each uniquely named copy of your project gets its own set of backups.

Does that include “Cmd+S” ? Sorry if that’s a dumb question :slight_smile:

Maybe that is what I am doing wrong …
Screenshot 2014-04-21 15.54.46.1.png

Cmd-S just saves over the project you are working on, it doesn’t generate a new name and thus a new backup stream. You’re fine on that score—though I do see you have backups set to occur on a manual save, which is Cmd-S, but this just triggers the normal backup rotation, so that in itself is not the problem with backups accumulating.

From the screenshot, I see a “Main Project Boyd.scriv” file in your backup folder. I presume this is your working project? If so that would explain the problem entirely! If you work within Scrivener’s own backup folder, than ordinary backup culling will be disabled indirectly by using a different naming scheme. This is a safety net so that people loading and closing projects out of the backup folder (presumably to find some data they need to restore) do not end up pushing older backups off of the rotation as they check backups from within in the rotation.

It’s kind of blurry from the shot, but it looks like all of those backups are using that special naming scheme that prevents them from taking part in the normal rotation.

Tks for that. Is there a section in the Manual where it will tell me how to fix this ? I have searched but don’t see it.

I don’t think there is anything on the manual for this specifically, mainly because the solution is simply to move the projects to another location so that backups and working material are not all housed in the same folder. This should be done while all projects are closed. Once that is fixed, you can clean up the backup folder as you wish, but do note that these specific backups from this list will never be a part of the rotation of five (for the same reason that they just accumulate right now), so don’t expect to see anything suddenly different.

Ok… So I should do the following ?

a) Leave the current backup files where they are.

b) Change the Scrivener Backup folder to a different and fresh designated folder. Say “Boy Project Backup Folder”

c) Save…as the Project into new fresh designated Project folder separate from a) above. Say “Boyd Project Working Folder” (does that designate that new folder as the new ‘working’ folder ?)

And I can leave the filename as is ? “Main Project Boyd.scriv” ?

And that will reinstate the 5 backups rotation ? And I stop command+saving altogether and leave it to the auto backups and backups on quitting ?

You could do things that way, but it seems like more steps to me. I would just leave the backup settings alone, they are all fine, the only problem is where your working project is located. Just close Scrivener and then drag the main project file to another folder using Finder. Now you’re all set.

Sure, but like I say the main thing is to move the project to a new folder. What it is called doesn’t really matter.

Once the project is in another folder, yes.

If you wish, that strikes me as more of a personal preference.

Tks AmberV - I will try this out and see how it goes.