9th NOV - LEE'S UPDATE

That does sound annoying, augmenting the Qt framework to suit the needs of your development. Of course, the end product is perhaps one that allows greater ease of maturity through the years rather than having to swap through core frameworks and move through more hoops and redo done progress.

I suppose there isn’t much more to it but to wait for the changes to take place, unfortunately. These issues are much less Scrivener than they are of Scrivener’s framework, and I think FocusWriter (?) may also benefit significantly if augmenting the source code of Qt to allow all these issues to be fixed. IIRC, Focuswriter’s developer utilises the Qt framework as well. It might be of interest to you, this tidbit of information.

I’ll look forward to the updates in the near future, by right now there isn’t much more that can be done other than to wait quietly and just be patient. We all want Scrivener for Windows, surely, but unfortunately before it can develop further, it seems that its backbone needs to be reinforced.

Such is the difficulty of developing software sometimes. I think we’re all confident you’ll get out a product many times better than what we have now in about 3-4 weeks, and I think, given the time that most of us have been waiting for Scrivener for Windows, waiting that amount of time might be fine.

Not much to be done but to wait and be patient.

PS: Have fun coding! :slight_smile:

Lee, it’s sounding like a wise overview, and that you guys do have understanding of what you are about very well in hand, and for the most significant areas especially.

The one thing I don’t see addressed yet is that of ability-lockout and Scrivener-having-to-close bugs. Those are probably pretty important, when they occur, and of course they are often the most troublesome to get a handle on, as once you know where they are, often they’re easy to fix, but that finding out of where the issue actually begins can be hard.

It’s proportionally up to us to document how to get into trouble this way, and I’m trying things to duplicate what I ran into right after installing 1.3, after which many actions would cause a crash-close. So far, not getting it back, but I will find it, and then will report.

I’m thinking you might keep a block of operational capacity earmarked for fixing things like this, as they get documented, so that reliability for writing’s value gets timely and consistent attention. It might give a suitable variety to plowing ahead on well-defined coding as well, and it’s what can allow us to invite further friends to sample Scrivener.

Otherwise, I’ve very glad to hear the tone and clarity in what you’re saying. Each of you individual’'s personal interest and insight in this way is what makes the project, and so the project is healthy. And it is a fine one, as you know.

The later plan for prioritizing is probably quite a good idea too.

Thanks, Lee, and all of you.

Regards,
Clive

AsyouknowBob, parsing RTF is a nightmare because (A) undocumented and (B) full of cruft from days we dare not name. Good luck.

I agree with DiscoveredJoy’s idea on selecting the most important bugs individually. Also, I’ll pass on telling the Linux users. They’re dreams are crushed often enough as it is. XD

Max looked up, his eyes wide and his lower lip quivering. His eyes gained a sheen of moist. When he spoke, his voice was uneven. ‘Tell the Linux users? No… nononono!’ His head shook hard from side to side for each no, and then he stood up fast and headed for the door.

‘I’d rather jump into a pit full of vipers.’ He slammed the door behind him as he left the room, and then he leaned against the door, and closed his eyes. When he wiped his brow with a handkerchief he retrieved from the jeans pocket, his hand trembled. Tell the Linux users… indeed.

1 Like

Suggestion: Google Moderator google.com/moderator/#0

It’s an easy way to get input from a lot of people and a great tool to prioritize bug fixes via democratic voting. Worth a look, at any rate.

Thanks for the update!

Concerning the lag issue, I have the same but it isn’t straight out of the gate. I’m running Win7 on a dual-core 2.2GHz intel w/ 4 GB of RAM (with only Firefox and FreeMind running). I only get a lag issue when I leave Scrivener open for a very long time (i.e. overnight). Restarting the program clears the memory, resolving the issue for a few more hours.

So far, life is a dream. All 28K of my NaNoWriMo project are in Scrivener for Windows, and life is good! Thanks for making this program available for us in the non-Mac crowd!

I have noticed this as well, it is why I open Scrivener every morning and close it every night. (making sure to save and back up when I do.)

Hi,

I came looking around via a search on “missing features”, as I cannot find either the spellechecker, nor the “help file” announced by the tutorial. All I can do, is to open the tutorial again.
Maybe this is because I downloaded Scrivener only yesterday and didn’t yet go through it all. If someone could help me on this, it would be great.

But this is not the subject here.
For the “stray caracters” pasted from Word and HTML, why shouldn’t you use a “paste function” like the one used in wordpress blogs for exactly this reason?
This function allows, on one hand, to simply “paste” and, on the other hand, to “paste from word”, via two different buttons, of which one seems to lead to some batch using an intermediate “simple text” paste.
Added on a right click, that wouldn’t even be uncomfortable for the user, I think.

Unless this is what you mean by “as Qt does not support RTF out of the box”, of course.

Right, I was in a quest for “missing features”, so I must search on.