A bug? Or merely an error?

Never good to find an error on the first page of a tutorial, though I’m not sure this qualifies as a bug.

The Tutorial says to proceed to “Step 1: Beginnings”.

Except, of course, there is no “Step 1: Beginnings” to be found in the pane on the left.

There is a “Part 1: Basics” and I’m going to now assume that’s what the tutorial means.

But gotta say, this has not inspired me with high confidence in your software, which I’m considering purchasing.

It’s always good to put your best foot forward, Scivener guys – and to make your tutorials as easy to follow as you can. An error/typo is not a good way to start.

There is a “Step 1: Beginnings”.

Click on the little plus sign to the left of the “Part 1: Basics” folder in the binder to expand the folder and show the documents it contains…

step.jpg

Ah. Hidden under “Step 1: Basics” in a pull-down that one might reasonably _never_see – if one were actually looking to follow instructions.

Should it not, therefore, say:

"See “Step 1: Beginnings” in the pull-down menu under “Step 1: Basics” at the left.

Sorry, folks, but that’s still either an error or sloppy writing. Either way, it’s not a good way to start a tutorial on a new product.

“Oh, see! It’s actually here! We just hid it from you so your first experience with our product could be that we tell you to go hunt for something, rather than actually giving it to you.” – Sorry, that doesn’t work for me. But then, I used to write instructions/rules for a living.

I hope this is not an indication of things to come.

Hi, sdsullivan,

Very sorry for the confusion here. The tutorial is meant to open with all the folders expanded, so you should be able to see all the “step” files right from the get-go; there was a packaging error when it all went into the installer that’s caused it to have that collapsed view. We’ll have that corrected with the next update. Once you’ve expanded the folders in the binder the way pigfender indicated, you should be able to work through the tutorial successfully. I agree, it’s not a great way to start off, and again I’m sorry for the confusion! We appreciate your giving Scrivener a try.