This isn’t exactly (or maay not be) a bug report, which is why I post it here and not in the bug forum.
Howumso’er, this be what happened:
I use a G5 quad, which on occasion goes into airplane mode, running its fans up and being unresponsibe for no particular reason. Well, it’s the equivalent of a crash, so you reboot. This happened while I was using Scrivener, but no grief, because it saves files frequently, right. So I reboot, and open up my novel once again. Of course I get the warning that the project was not properly closed yadda yadda and that I should’nt have it open twice. No problem, I’m just opening it. So it patches up its search strings, and away we go for another couple of hours’ work, which included splitting a number of scenes (and so creating new files as noted in the binder.)
End of day:
I close the window, and lo an behold there is another window underneath it open to the same project, AS OF THE CRASH, with the files created since the crash not in the binder. Other files that had been changed in the top window DID have the changes and were OK, but lots of material was simply gone.
Because I knew how Scrivener stores files, I looked in the package. The missing files were there all right. So I made a backup, added to the binder, and copied the contents of the backup files into the project, then deleted the now redundant files that were not being referenced. Seems to me there oughta be an easier way–any files in the package but not referenced in the binder are automatically referenced in a section at the bottom so they can be moved into place as needed.
Anyhow, the caution is: If you ever get a warning that a project wasn’t closed properly, check to see if two windows have been opened before doing any work.
All that said, Scrivener has been a great piece of software, and I look forward to it becoming better still.