A convert from SuperNotecard/Copywrite

Hi

I’ve just started using Scrivener this weekend to revise and re-outline my Nano-novel, so I thought I’d share my first impressions.

Firstly, having done the tutorial, I was very impressed. I recall downloading Scrivener Gold a while back and not being overly taken with it - the programs I was using did their respective tasks as well or better - but the new Scrivener really won me over. I’m hoping it’ll make the mammoth task of turning a 50k rough draft into a 120k novel a little bit easier!

That said, there are a few areas where SNC scores as a pure index card emulation. There are more options for custom labels, useful tools like automatically identifying keywords that match the text, and the little thermometer (with accompanying barchart view) for tracking the pace of your novel. One thing I particularly miss in Scrivener is the “flatten” mode, which instantly shows all the bottom-level items in your hierarchy in one continuous corkboard-style display, without having to open up all the folders.

On the other hand, SNC doesn’t keep synopsis text separate from the draft, which seriously impacts its usability as a drafting tool, IMHO. Project-wide Search and Replace is very clunky, requiring a card-by-card confirmation. And it doesn’t have split pane mode or the ability to temporarily merge sections of draft for easier editing - both of which will be a godsend at a later stage, I think! The drafting features seriously kick Copywrite’s butt, too!

All in all, not quite my ultimate all-in-one writing tool just yet, but a lot better than running two separate programs :slight_smile:

I bought a copy of SNC a long while ago, but I never did take to it, and when they started charging for an upgrade, I let it lapse. Despite, there were definitely some things that I did like about it. Flatten was one of them, but as I described in another response, there is a way to easily achieve this with Outliner that provides the same amount of data – just without the index card metaphor. There were plenty of things to dislike, for me anyway. The interface was so slow and “Windows-ish”. While attaching multiple colour labels to a card was nice, I did not like that it was the only way to attach meaning to a card that could be viewed from a bird’s eye. Colour had to suffice for dozens of variables, and I quickly ran out of easily distinguishable colours. I also never had much use for some of the things you liked, such as tracking tension and so on; so there was quite a lot that I never really used; nothing that I could not do in another application anyway.

Hi Redfox, I’m glad you liked Scrivener enough to convert. :slight_smile: Because Scrivener is a mix of corkboard and word processor, it probably doesn’t do everything a pure index card emulator can, but remember that if you do want to see all your cards “flattened”, all you have to do is hit cmd-A in the binder to select all - selecting multiple items in the binder displays them as cards on the corkboard. If you just wanted to see the draft, you could opt-click on the triangle next to the Draft folder to expand all subdocuments of the draft, then click on Draft and shift-click on the last item in it.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Thanks - I thought there might be a way to do something similar, if only I knew where to look :slight_smile: