A Few More Scrivener Wishes...

1. Right-clicky synonyms/antonymns/(rhymes even!). When I’m in the groove and the words are flowing, the absolute last thing I want to do is pause, switch to another app or window, then pick a word, and then go back. Instead, what I need at that moment is just a quick and dirty list of words that I can pick and plug into the text, right then and there. Of all the features of Word that I miss, this is the one I miss THE most.

2. A full-screen (or at least much larger and resizable) Print Preview window when both printing and Compiling for Print. I don’t think the current preview delivers enough visual feedback concerning one’s formatting choices, as the text is way to small to make anything out.

3. Regular expressions for searching (and for splitting imported files). (As I understand it, this is in the worlds. Thanks Keith!) Man, this would make life SO much easier. I had a 600 page novel where I had to recently copy and paste each scene from each chapter – manually – because the current “Import and Split” dialogue would not let me specify an “OR” operator or wildcards.

4. Combining formatting-search/replace, basic search/replace (and synopsis, document, and project search) all into a single, unified dialog, with support for finding text based on style – i.e., bold, underline, italic, font size, etc. This would make searching and replacing – whether in docs, synopses, or projects – a heck of a lot easier and faster, and much more powerful, especially once reg-ex was brought into the mix!

5. Ability to move items in the Binder using cut, copy, and paste, AND keyboard shortcuts for Binder object manipulation (delete, duplicate, etc). I would love to be able to do this. Would be neat!

6. The ability to specify unique Compile-time “Formatting” options for each document (or folder) in the Binder and/or its children. For instance, if I want subdocuments to all be printed one way for one folder, and another for another folder – which in the case of my Prologue versus the rest of the chapters, I certainly do – then this would make it possible. The current way of doing things is really nice, but feels kind of rigid to me.

7. The ability to translate Finder/Explorer file-and-folder relationships to the Binder when importing files that are already grouped into folder hierarchies. This would be really great for those of us who, for years, used multiple files and folders to mimic a Binder-like structure on our hard-drives. Imagine the convenience of being able to just drag over the root folder and have the Binder “interpret” folders as Binder folders, and its documents as subdocuments!

8. More Word/Pages-like text formatting options (support for WYSIWYG columns would be 100-percent awesome) including better, more “intelligent” handling (i.e., detection and auto-formatting) of outline-like structures and bulleted and/or enumerated lists. I know very well that Scrivener was not intended to replace a dedicated word processor – nor should it ever have to be – but, many of the dedicated programs’ more advanced feature sets are pretty common and indispensable, and I think that Scrivener should maybe sport a more well-rounded subset of those features. The features it offers are fantastic already, but this addition would expand them even further.

9. The ability to use Scrivener links (or Keywords) in order to build an index, the final version of which would be inserted at compile-time. I mean, I would LOVE to be able to make an index for some of my larger projects. It’d be a terrific addition to an already wondrous feature set, a compliment to the current ToC functionality.

10. Allow us to use non-CSV (i.e., non-comma-separated-values) and RTF support in the Name Generator. I recently found several awesome lists of French and OldEnglish names on the web, but the Name Generator mangled all the accented characters (thus necessitating another improvement – the ability to save name lists as RTF files), to say nothing of all the work I had to do to suck out the names and put them into a plain-text CSV file. The NG is a great feature — I use it all the time, now — and the ability to use, say, carriage returns as the delimiter would be sweet.

11. The ability to use native Apple and Windows .ico/.icns files when creating custom icon sets; the ability to change the ‘default’ icon for each Binder object type OR set default icons for different Binder levels; drag and drop installation of these icon file types; the creation of icon folders or categories for easier management of large icon inventories; the ability to seamlessly scale icons when increasing font size in the Binder. I know this is kind of a geeky set of feature requests, but I myself like to get creative with the appearance of my subdocuments, and am a firm believer in the doctrine that you can never have too many icons!

12. An option to have the “Search in Wikipedia” Writing Tool take advantage of the Apple Dictionary app’s built-in Wikipedia browser (on the Mac, at least). I mean, it’s there, right? I don’t know if it’s accessible to other apps (knowing Apple, it probably isn’t), but it would be a nice little quirk to add, a cool little ability that isn’t there now.

13. Ability to set Paste behavior in Preferences – i.e., “Always Paste and Match Style” or “Never Paste and Match Style”, or “Strip Only Hyperlinks When Pasting”, etcetera.

14. A table in the manual laying bare ALL the various <$variables> that Scrivener uses behind the scenes and in all the various fields and settings. I know there’s some of them listed already, but it would be nice to know about all of them, if we don’t already. Maybe I’m just thickheaded and unobservant, but it seems to me there are a lot of these variables used at different places, and a handy reference to them would be a cool provision.

Whew. I think I’m all wished out! But seriously, any of these would be awesome things to add to Scrivener! Don’t get me wrong — Scrivener is totally badass and awesome-sauce as it is. But with these minor/major improvements, I think it could be even MORE awesome than it already is. So — any thoughts — Keith, anyone?

Tee hee!

Your enthusiasm is infectious! Several of your points are eminently doable however, now deferring all serious responses to the Scrivener-about-to-go-on-holiday-staff, I would point out that the aggregate of your items would require years of work from a single developer. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Dave

Already built-in as part of OS X via right click, 3-finger double tap (using a touch-pad) or Ctrl-Cmd-D.
See this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16051&start=0

In the print panel, click on PDF (bottom left corner), select “Open PDF in Preview”. Allows you to view your print-out as you wish, then select from “Print” or “Cancel” (bottom right corner of the previewed PDF) as required.

You can! I don’t think I’ve ever used my mouse to delete or duplicate anything in the binder. There are also keyboard shortcuts for moving items (but I don’t have Scriv open so can’t check - pretty sure it’s in the user manual).

Setting different compile settings for folder documents and text documents already allows you to do this. Change your prologue to a text document (really, there’s no difference between a document and a folder in Scrivener) and set the compile settings you want at that top level.

Umm, no thanks. Two problems from my (non-developer) perspective. The first is, as mentioned above, there is no difference between folders and documents in Scrivener. The second is, some of us use them for far more than nested structures, and I’d hate to have some of my scrivenings end up in separate folders. But that’s me, others may like your suggestion.

I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and preview Keith’s response: write to Apple. Scrivener uses Aple’s text system, so most of Scrivener’s limitations are due to Apple’s handling of RTF files.

Isn’t this possible? This time it’s a genuine inquiry from me as I don’t know (I’ve never tried), but I thought it was. Maybe I’m getting confused with creating a table of contents (which is not the same thing, I know).

You can and it does. I have many unique icons in the binder. You can choose whether they are project specific or Scrivener-wide (all projects). And yes, you just use regular icon files.

Again, you can already do this via the right-click/3-finger-tap/Ctrl-Cmd-D method mentioned above. Open the preferences in Apple’s Dictionary and select the order you prefer your dictionaries to appear. I have British thesaurus, British Dictionary, American thesaurus and Wikipedia (in that order) appear in my list.

You were definitely right about this though:

:smiley:

Not quite sure where this came from - RegEx is on the cards for version 3.0, which is well over a year away. So it’s definitely on the roadmap, but not coming soon. :slight_smile:

You … copied and pasted… a six-hundred page document? Are you mad!? :slight_smile:

If you had just imported and taken advantage of the auto-split, you could have then searched for the other style of heading and used the “split at current selection” keyboard shortcut. That HAS to be easier than copying and pasting.

Well, actually, it was a little more complex than that. I had every chapter start with the word “Chapter” followed by a title, then two carriage returns, then a scene number, then two carriage returns, then the text of a scene, two carriage returns, then another scene number . . . etcetera. And, all the headings — both scenes and chapters — were not styled text; they were just plain old text. (Granted, that was my fault.) So, splitting on “/r/r” would’ve resulted in a TON of unnecessary files with just numbers or single lines in their titles, no matter when I did it. And it would’ve been a lot more work to go into each resulting document further split it again based on selection; it wound up being easier to just manually copy and paste.

The inclusion of regular expressions for importing and splitting would’ve enabled me to say “find /r/r.+/r/r”, to isolate only blocks of meaningful text. Hence, why I asked for it. :smiley: