A few questions regarding saving and backups. (New to Scrivener)

Does Scrivener save locally primarily while backing up to DropBox and Syncing via DropBox to other devices? I am hoping to have it on a laptop, desktop, and my phone but want to make sure everything syncs correctly. I currently use OneNote, which is great for syncing across devices. Thanks.

You specify both the project location – when you create the project – and the backup location. Generally, I recommend not using the same cloud service for both the original project and its backups.

Katherine

Thanks for the reply! So by default I can save locally and then have it backing up to the cloud? Am I able to choose my online backup service or is DropBox the only option? Meaning, can I use OneDrive is I wish for the backups and syncing? Along that same line, is the syncing done automatically or through an online service? I hope that makes sense. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Dropbox is the only option for synchronization with iOS devices.

You can use whatever backup service you want.

Note that “backup” and “synchronization” are not the same thing. You should not depend on any synchronization service as your only backup. Reason being that a damaged or corrupt copy on one device will very quickly propagate to all other devices, defeating the purpose of a backup.

Please read:

On cloud services generally: scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … c-services

On Dropbox and iOS Scrivener specifically: scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … g-with-ios

Katherine

Thank you, that is very helpful. Last question for now would be… are settings such as Meta-Data saved across the entire program or just within each project? Thanks.