A few request for highlights

My requests stem from working with a few poems in scrivener.

Could we please get an easy way to toggle each highlight color on and off? and could we get a way to highlight all instances of a word? the first one is the more important of the two to me.

i am sorry if either of these features exist and i simply havent found them. i looked in help to no avail.

Are you asking for something easier than the keyboard shortcuts? If so, what do you have in mind? Cmd-Shift-H will always toggle with the last used colour. See the Text/Highlights menu for the other number based shortcuts. Once you use one, it will be attached to Cmd-Shift-H until you use another.

If i have the word ‘memory’ in a scriv 10 times and i have highlighted each of these occurances, i would like a way to turn off the highlight on all 10 at once with the ability to turn in back on for those 10.

Hi, there’s really no way to do anything like that, I’m afraid. I doubt you’ll find a feature like that in any program that supports highlighting text - can you do that in Pages, Word or Nisus for instance?

All the best,
Keith

ok, just a request… although pages brings an interesting idea to mind. it is technically possible in pages using styles. 2 styles the same except fill color. body 1 and 2. i can take the fill color off 2 whenever i want and then they look the same.

EDIT: o man…it’s a better idea if i name the paragraph style after the word.

i don’t use word much at all, but styles are there too.

Having some way to suppress the display of highlighting on output seems like it would be a good thing, and might be usefully close to what surreal is looking for. I am not a highlighter myself, but I know my wife uses highlighting for strictly internal purposes, so none of it is intended for the finished output.

I had thought that highlighting would be suppressed by the Override Text Formatting feature of Compile, but it is not, and I can see on reflection why not, but maybe such an ability should be an option in the Formatting controls of Compile? Or maybe I just missed how to do it.

–Greg

P.S. By the way, even compiling to Plain Text preserves highlighting which surprised me and certainly defies my concept of plain text!

Wouldn’t it be hard to read “plain text” in its plainest form?

:confused: [size=200].-. …- -… -… … … …[/size]

Dang you dog! Now I will have to think.

… / - … … -. -.- / -.-- — …- / -. . . -… / – — .-. . / - — / -… .-. … -. -.-

No I don`t! What I need is:
adv_fontshow.gif

I think moving to ancient Egyptian glyphs should be considered foul play. Especially considering that there is no way to reverse engineer the mess that a dullard like me could do without first encoding the entire glyph dictionary.

Fowl play is only for the feather brained or chickenhearted.

suppressing when outputting would be nice, but not optimal. i, sometimes, like to see where a word occurs most in a poem. usually, there are only a few words in each poem that i am concerned about in this way. highlighting clearly locates each occurrence of the word, but is distracting when would like to simply write.

as i stated, paragraph styles can be abused to an effect much like what i describe.

I can accomplish this in Ulysses and pages (although it is, admittedly, not easy in pages).

Sorry, I am know both of those programs and am not aware of any way in either of them to do what I was talking about any more than in Scrivener. Could you please be more specific and describe exactly what you are talking about and how you do it in those programs?

Well in Ulysses at least, the only way to get internal highlights out is to specifically create an export format to handle them. They are, by default, ignored on output like most markers. But Ulysses is a plain text syntax-based application, I’m not sure it can rightly be compared. It would be like using TextMate or BBEdit as an example since their code highlighting doesn’t end up in the compiled application or the web site.

In Ulysses, I achieved it by using a marker. I would create a mark for a particular word. apply the marker to all instances of the word.

then i can change the marker color (in preferences or fonts/color,) essentially switching the marker on and off.

in pages, i used character styles. the problem with this approacg in pages is that, with character styles at least, changing the fill color to nothing changes the character style to none. (which is true, but not what i wanted. ) the workaround would be to make the fill color white.

and maybe i haven’t made it clear that i am NOT talking outputting the text.

i am talking about using highlighting for personal editing purposes. this is purely for me while i look at the text and try to check connections and repetitions.

I do understand there are differences between programs and i can understand if this is not a high priority, but it seems possible.

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, nothing like that is in the pipeline.
Best,
Keith