A Few Requests

Hi. I apologize if the following requests have already been proposed. I did do a search of the forums but it was still hard to tell if my requests had already been asked. That said, here are some of my requests:

1. I’d like to be able to add formatting (colors, font, style etc.) to selected text in an index card. Right now all text in the index card is the same…

2. I would like the option to keep the index cards at a specific size, regardless of how large or small the corkboard window is. Right now, changing the size of the corkboard window also changes he size of the index cards.

3. I would love to be able to see both an index card and its contents simultaneously without doing it manually. This would require splitting the view in two. The top pane would show the corkboard and which card is currently selected. The bottom pane would show the contents of that card. As you choose a different card, the bottom view would change to reflect the contents of the new card. The only issue I wonder about with this feature is that it might look too similar to Scrivener’s current features to split the document.

Thanks,

Mirsky

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. Index cards use plain text, so there is no way to highlight the text. However, you can set it so that the background colour of the card uses the label colour, so that they are all coloured slightly differently. You won’t be able to add any formatting to index card text, though - as I say, they are plain text and there aren’t any plans to change this.

2. This is coming in the next update.

3. You can already do this. Split the editor, have the corkboard in the top and click on the button with the two arrows underneath the corkboard so that the arrows turn blue. This will make it so that selecting an index card shows its contents in the bottom pane.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Keith

Keith, thanks so much for your quick reply.

In playing more with the corkboard view, I have another suggestion and another question.

1. My suggestion: I would like an option that when I add a new card to the corkboard that the card will inherit the same label and/or status as the card before it. Right now, whenever I add a card it’s without a label or status.

2.My question, possibly a suggestion: When assigning keywords to documents/index cards and then searching for documents with those keywords, is there a way to view the results in corkboard view? For instance, if I add a character name to a bunch of index cards, I’d love to be able to see all those index cards with that keyword together.

Thanks,

Mirskyman

Regarding [1], you can sort of do this already - just Duplicate (cmd-d) the card you want to inherit the properties of, instead of creating an entirely new card. Duplicated documents automatically keep the label/status of the original.

When you have an active search, you can select multiple documents in the search results area (i.e. in the left pane). You will then see the index cards for these selected documents in the Editor area (i.e. right pane) – or, depending on your default settings, you may have to then hit the Corkboard button on the toolbar to achieve this.

1. In addition to the duplication suggestion (also don’t forget Simple Duplicate which will only duplicate the selected document and not its children documents), you can also set default labels and status. Press Cmd-Opt-, and then select the label you wish to make default. Press the “Make Default” button then repeat these steps for the status tab.

2. A simple way to isolate a keyword is to use the Keyword HUD. You can find this in the View menu, or use Shift-Cmd-Opt-H. This will pop up a list of every keyword you have ever typed in. You can globally fix typos here, as well as organise your keywords into sections if you please. At the bottom of this window is a button labelled “Search”. Select the character name you wish to isolate, press that button, and a search will be set up for you. Then, as gr points out, you can simply select all of the search results to get a “Multiple Selection” corkboard. This is, unlike other corkboards, a simple viewing method for multiple document selections. Ordinarily, a corkboard represents a piece of your binder. Select a folder with lots of entries in it, and you can view it as a corkboard. But a Multiple Selection corkboard only exists while you are viewing it. To end your search, click the little ‘X’ button in the bottom right of the Binder area to return to the ordinary project view.

Huh, I didn’t even know about default label/status. Learn something new, etc!

Hi

I realise you said you won’t be doing it but I’d like, very respectfully, (!) to put in my vote for the ability to highlight text in different colours on the index cards - and to explain why I’d love this feature.

in screenplay writing it would allow me to highlight different storylines (A story, B story, etc) with different colours to keep track of structure. It’s a technique I routinely use with real old physical index cards. The thing I find wildly exciting about Scrivener (I’m a very new user) is that it really does seem to make the use of physical cards and other such things unneccessary

If it’s technically not feasible then so be it, of course, but I just wanted to say that I would find it a very useful feature.

all the best
William

Hi William,

The trouble is that the outline view - which also allows the display and editing of synopses - does not allow rich text (highlighting etc) at all, so seeing as that is synonymous with the corkboard view it makes it more of a technical issue than anything else…

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

If you turn on the push pin display (cmd-ctrl-P), they are colour coded according to the Label metadata. One of the things I and many others have used the colour label for is which storyline/subplot a scene supports. You can assign one colour per card.

Hi Janra

Thanks, that gets me halfway there - but what do you do if the scene has more than one plotline though? I usually find that half of my physical index cards have more than one highlight colour.

I’m thinking that I might create a folder with a lot of short documents, each one functioning as an index card. I can swap them around in the binder view, or in outline or corkboard view and edit them in edit scrivenings, and highlight my subplots…

Thanks Keith - I quite understand! And I’m still finding Scrivener by far the best word processor I’ve ever worked with. In fact it’s the only one I know of that really takes advantage of the computer - takes it beyond a glorified typewriter.

all the best
William

Keith, I just had an idea:

Would it be possible to allow multiple pins on the same index card? (ie different coloured pins). That would solve my problem with multiple plot lines in one scene.

cheers
william

I’m afraid not. The trouble is that the pin is associated with the label colour, which is displayed in other places where it is really only possible to use one colour, so it would mean that the different colours could only be viewed in the one area, which could lead to confusion. However, leave it with me, as I am looking in to some possibilities for 2.0, which are on my list to look at properly in about three weeks’ time (although that is a rough estimate based on work I have to do before that). I will let you know what I come up with!

Thanks and all the best,
Keith