A few stupid questions

I keep all my documents on a USB because I change computers often. I’m not sure on to synchronize my scriv files on my computer to my jump drive. When I first downloaded it, this seemed automatic, but now only one or two projects update and the rest don’t. I wasn’t familiar enough with scriv to trust that I wouldn’t need to save multiple versions of the file, so it not working suited me, but I’ve played with snapshots and am certain, I can manage all my drafts in one scriv file. (Scriv is to writers what the wheel was to humanity) Anyway, can anyone walk me through a basic understanding of how synchronize works? Does it matter what folder I save my scriv files in? Or can I just drop them anywhere under my files? Can I store them in a sub-folder and or briefcase? Do my windows synchronize settings matter?

Secondly, I thought that the import issues were fixed for RTF but when I import, I loose dialogue quotes. Is this still an issue?

When I click on tutorials, nothing happens and I’m no sure if there are additional tutorials for windows scriv or if it’s just the same stuff on the website? (I’ve been through those, but I was hopping for something search-able for when I have specific questions.)

Thanks.

I advocate keeping your important material spread across as many devices as you can, so that the loss or failure of one of them does not wipe out all of your work. If you are keeping everything solely on the portable drive, then you risk losing everything if that drive fails. The best thing to do is, if you want to work on the portable drive, then keep your backups on each computer that you work on. In other words, at the end of every writing session, or periodically while you work, use the File/Backup Project To... menu command to create zipped archives of your project on that machine, in My Documents or wherever you prefer. Zip files will decrease synchronisation risks as they are all one file instead of many, and so would be safer for briefcase, Dropbox, or anything else that moves your data around remotely.

The same holds true in inverse. If you prefer to work on the computer’s drive, then use the portable drive to store backups. Just keep the backups somewhere else from the main files, otherwise they serve as no protection from anything that might cause the main .scriv project to disappear (such as in a flood or burglary).

By and large, no. Just make sure to keep the .scriv folders discrete. In other words, don’t store copies of one .scriv folder inside another .scriv folder. These are meant to be thought of as “files” in the sense that they are all part of one cohesive unit. So long as you keep them all separate from one another, you can put them wherever you want on your drive. A folder full of .scriv folders is a good way to keep things organised.

This is, if I understand you correctly, mostly just a beta limitation. Most beta software is not fully documented because it is still in motion. For the final release we will have more material available, including an exhaustive PDF manual, the production of which is already in progress.

FWIW – I’ve experimented with keeping my Scrivener files – indeed, most of my writing docs in general – in the free 2 gig Dropbox account I have. If you aren’t familiar with Dropbox, you ought to go to dropbox.com and take a look. They offer a completely free 2 gig online storage account that you can quickly and easily access from any computer.

NOTE: I didn’t want to drop an affiliate signup link for Dropbox, so dropbox.com is simply the site with info and how to sign up if you want an account. I gain nothing from it. :smiley:

Gary

You’ll find many scrivener users run dropbox, there has been “lots” of discussion of it over in the Mac technical support forums (It’s worth reading the latest post from Keith)

I think dropbox has traditionally had a stronger take-up with Mac users BTW - as has Scrivener :wink:

On a dropbox side note, you can get an extra 1GB of storage for free, if you complete the dropquest: dropbox.com/dropquest2011

Shhhh Mr Google has the teachers edition with all the answers at the back.

Thanks, Jenny, for tipping me off to the dropbox discussions on the Mac side of the world. And I really did appreciate Keith’s post about how to safely use dropbox – which I assume works for either Mac or Windows Scrivener.

Gary

That’s correct. The basic checklist of things to watch for is universal to all platforms as Dropbox works the same at this level on both Macs and PCs. On Windows, I recommend setting the Dropbox tray icon to always visible so you can keep an eye on it’s activity.