A few suggestions

Hi,

After writing my first 2 books in MS word I figured there had to be something better, and I found this place, so off to a good start! I thought you might like some feedback on the things I encountered during my first use of the product on Windows 10. Most of these suggestions are cosmetic and I do realise you probably have higher priorities, but I thought I would put them down anyway.

The installer is straight forward but it would be nice if it had an option to run the application directly at the end of the install.
The default width of the inspector panel was a little small relative to my screen size and didn’t adjust if I resized the window - perhaps consider making it a % of the window width rather than a fixed size? (yes I know I can resize it and did)
Adding document references from the inspector is fiddly in a project the size of the tutorial and I can only imagine it would be worse with a larger project - have you considered making it (also) a popup like the file browser window is?
Keywords - it would be nice to create a new one by simply clicking in the empty space rather than needing to use the icons
Also for the keywords, having the Show project keywords menu hidden under the settings dropdown is somewhat clumsy to access, have you considered having an additional button on that toolbar to access it more directly?
For most of the inspector it feels more natural to right-click and delete than to highlight and then find the delete icon - perhaps add it as an option?
I found that the right click menu in the text editor to be rather cluttered by default, perhaps consider 2 different context menu’s one for simply having the cursor in the text and the other for when text is highlighted. Also it would be good if the context menu could be customised like the main toolbar can. Then I would add a “create comment/footnote” to it.
It would be nice to be able to drag and drop text into the comments & footers area and have it create a comment by default and have that comment in edit mode so that text could be directly entered without needing to refocus the mouse
In the outliner, things can be rearranged and settings changed - sometimes I changed the wrong thing and it would have been helpful if there was a ctrl-z undo for those changes as well.
When no Bibliography/Citation Manager is configured it would be better if that menu option to launch it was greyed out.
Would be nice to be able to sort the table in the outliner view, you might also need a document order number as well at the front so it can be resorted as it appears in the binder.
When the view is split the order of the split buttons changes, it would be nicer if the split buttons remained in place and selected split is the one which is replaced by the no split button rather than adding it to the right side.

Other than those few items it is actually quite easy to use, the interface is quick and responsive. I will definitely be pulling in my next project into it and seeing how it helps me more than MS Word.

Best Regards,

Adam

“I found that the right click menu in the text editor to be rather cluttered by default, perhaps consider 2 different context menu’s one for simply having the cursor in the text and the other for when text is highlighted. Also it would be good if the context menu could be customised like the main toolbar can. Then I would add a “create comment/footnote” to it.”

Way too many items on the right-click menu that i will never use from a right click menu. The menu would be best to be configurable, so i can remove all the stuff that most people will never use from this menu.

My preference: When checking spelling, only spelling related bits should be displayed.

Cuz now, the spelling choices are at the top and require me, the user, to pay attention to the interface.

User interface design should focus on the user and not the interface.

Way too many programs recently also attempt to “reduce clutter” and thereby make the user pay more attention to the interface. Having to move the mouse to show a scroll bar is an example of clever-stupidity: “Look what i can do.” A demonstration o9f children not understanding what bits of the interface do provide information. Hiding the scroll bars is just plain stupid. No value. Only annoyance.

And so on.