A little bit of localization...

Searching before posting, I’ve found a post by Martin68 in Bug hunt about autocapitalization of I, a problem for people not writing in english; I think this could be the place to re-ask for that…
(I know the localization issue has been postponed, ok, but this is just a little bit of it and, if it doesn’t require a lot of programming, perhaps it could be done…)

So, could it be possible to separate the autocapitalize option for the first letter of the sentence (very very user-friendly when you’re writing quickly a lot of short sentences like in noir/thriller genre) from the autocapitalization of the I (in italian, my language, you have a lot of “i” as plural article, ex: “the books” = “i libri”)?

Same general line, different problem, always “country-specific”: generally, articles, translations, short-stories etc are not counted here by words, but by characters or ‘spaces’ (I mean 'beats of keybord") ex: a page of 2,000 spaces is the “measure unit” for written stuff, so you can have a short story of 20,000/40,000 spaces, an article for a magazine of 2,000/6,000 spaces, a novel of 300,000/500,000… you got the picture; in Scriv you can count characters, but if I’m not wrong (perhaps there’s same hidden function I’ve not yet discovered) in Project statistics you can only set your target in words, not in characters: could it be possible to modify this, with the option of setting writing targets in characters?

Thank you very much, even if you will politely say “Naaaaah!” :slight_smile:
johnz
ibook 12", 1 giga RAM, samsung 17", mac os x 10.4.9, scrivener 1.03

Hi Johnz,

For the project targets thing, download the most recent beta from the Beta Testing forum. That version will go “official” in a couple of weeks, but it allows you to set targets in characters as well as words.

As for the “I” auto-caps problem - I will ponder upon it and keep it in mind. I can’t promise anything, but I’ve added it to the list of things to look at.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I second johnz’s request regarding the autocapitalization of the i.

Yep, like I say, it’s on the list. :slight_smile: Just a matter of how I go about it - whether Scrivener should check the language (though that might be difficult) or have the “I” as a separate auto-caps preference. I’ll try to work it into the beta, maybe.
Best,
Keith

…I’v said it’s a terrific site, very supporting!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
best
johnz

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of what other applications do to get around this? I’d like to make it as consistent as possible…
Thanks!
Keith

Hi Keith,

sorry I haven’t yet replied to this, but I’m sure you weren’t without things to do…

About this autocapitalization thing, I can only say that:

in Word, there’s an option to check in the menu Tools > Automatic corrections;

in Mellel, if there is such option, I couldn’t find it; I’ve searched their forum, with no result (but my knowledge of Mellel is very very basic… very powerful software, with an approach I find a bit difficult… :blush: )

in Nisus Writer Express, there’s only a request in the forum about a possible future update for this option, and they (Nisus people) say it’s in the ToDo list for Writer pro;

in Mariner Write, (ver. 3.6.1) no such option…

Don’t think it’s a big help, but if there’s anything I can help, let me know
best
johnz

Thanks. Actually I have already implemented this for the next release - there is just a separate option in Preferences to auto-capitalize “i”.

All the best,
Keith

thanks Keith, it was exactly what I hoped for… a separate option for us, non-english, with doesn’t affect the anglo-american majority (I suppose…) of the Useners (Scrivener users)

best
johnz

First of all, let me say thanks for an excellent program; I’ve already used it quite diligently in the past few weeks to design characters, settings, plots and what have you for a bunch of novels, a screenplay and some comic books.

I just downloaded the 1.55b version, and have just barely tried it out, but I was wondering if the seperate option to auto-capitalize “i” is implemented in this version? I write in Norwegian, where “i” is a preposition, and I would appreciate being able to use the auto-capitalization.

Yes, it is - check out the Text Editing preferences. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

Wonderful! Now, if I could only see it. I checked out the Text Editing preferences, but I can’t seem to spot it – just the regular auto-capitalize preference.

It should be in the lower half of the pane, the first checkbox beneath “Editor Options” - “Capitalize ‘i’”.

Best,
Keith

Strange – the first checkbox beneath Editor Options in the pane I’m getting is “Typewriter scrolling”.

Can’t find it Keith; the first check box below Editor Options is Typewriter scrolling. :question:

Oh dear - I do apologise. It seems I added it since the last beta, so it is only in my version. :blush: I hope to update with a new beta soon before releasing the final version. Maybe even at the weekend, though don’t quote me on it. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

I can cancel my hurried appointment with the optician then… :laughing: