A question about voice control.

I’m not entirely sure this is the correct section for this, but it seemed the most fitting.

I found Scrivener when working out logistics for this years NaNo and so far it seems like a great program that would be useful for a lot more than just writing novels. Unfortunately, I was also hoping to use Window’s speech option to dictate my novel (and several other things) this year and that doesn’t seem to work so well with Scrivener (I can’t seem to get it to do even basic text entry).

After looking into this for a bit, I saw that this was a known issue in the windows version. Back in march, MimeticMouton mentioned that it should receive some improvement (though possibly just for dragon) in the next major release. Unfortunately, after a bit more looking, I noticed that it was also mentioned as a top priority back in 2011 and there have been two releases since march (including a change from 1.6 to 1.7), which was a bit disconcerting.

Is there a way to get a more accurate timeline on this feature before I go through the effort of learning Scrivener and setting it up for NaNo?

The problem with voice control is that Scrivener is built on the Qt framework, which isn’t supported by the Windows dictation tool or big-name voice control software like Nuance’s Dragon. You can use DNS with Scrivener, and some of our users do, but it’s limited to dictating; you can’t control the interface with it.

Because Scrivener is relatively small independent software, there’s not a high demand on the voice control software to work with us to develop integration, and we’re limited too by what support Qt offers. We’re currently working on updating Scrivener to use the latest version of Qt, so that may offer more than previous iterations, and we will continue to research options for voice control ability. This is something we would really like to have better support for, and as I said previously, we are hoping to be able to work something out for the next major release. (“Major” means a full number change, i.e. 1, 2, 3. Windows has only had minor releases, aka point upgrades, since the initial release, e.g. 1.6, 1.7.)

In short, the answer is no, I’m afraid I can’t give you a more accurate timeline on this feature, as it’s something we don’t even know ourselves.

Ok. Thank you for taking the time to explain that and clarifying what was meant by major releases. Before I thought changes in the third decimal were minor and changes in the second were major.

It’s a bit disappointing that there isn’t support for the framework, but that’s not on you guys.

Ok - I am little confused. Dragon Natural Speaking (v12) works in Scrivener at least for basic prose dictation. I admit I still have not tried to use it with Screenplay formats as I am not exactly sure how that would work.

These the things that me go hhhhhmmmm. :neutral_face:

thanks in advance.
jrh

Just my take on this, but if I were going to dictate, I’d just use Word or even WordPad, then import into Scrivener for polishing, etc.

Okay, so we wait. Scrivener and Dragon are such major boosts for my writing productivity (like 10x for me) that I’m happy with that. Would be nice but…

To the last issue in this chat. I found a good feature in Dragon 13 that makes it easier to dictate and get it into Scrivener. Dragon Pad.

Dragon Pad is at the top of the “Tools” dropdown list in Dragonbar. (Yes it is another step) It is an .RTF only close clone to WordPad and has most of the text editing stuff that we’re familiar with from Word. What I’ve been doing is to save the DragonPad .rtf in a file in my Scrivener folder then import it into Scrivener. The imports are instant, unlike the .rtfs created in Word or Wordpad.

IMHO the process is cleaner in that: 1) it allows full text editing in the DragonPad document and 2) as I said the import of those files is instant and 3) it allows you to save a copy of your original outside of Scrivener in an associated file. (I like redundant backups based on my sad experiences in the past).

I know, it’s not the final answer, but I find it a good work around until the Software Guru’s get their collective heads together on this issue.

Write on friends :wink:

nice and thank you - I am using Dragon 12, will look at 13.