A scrivener novel

I know Master Blount will likely not read this, but a small philosophical question as lept to the front of my thoughts.

Not too long ago I started to rethink my position on “can computer code be an art in its own right?” This morning as I stared at the never increasing word count at the bottom of my Scrivener window I mumbled (apparently out loud) “I wonder what the word count is for the scriv code base?” This in turn created a thought about Master Blount and his as yet unread novel (I am not aware of any actual draft having been circulated) and again mumbled (again apparently out loud) “I bet the code base exceeds the standard novel in length and plot complexity”.

Hopefully those in the know can answer this now burning question: Is scrivener Master Blount’s masterpiece form of writing?

This is not to limit his future endeavours but only to satiate my obviously idle mind.

From the now “hidden” LitNLat Free Stuff page.

Conspicuous in its absence? The answer.

Maybe someone with a tad more import than your headless couch man could convince the Master to inform us.

How many novels in existence could claim the impact of Scrivener?

always happy to take part in a thread for insulting pigboy.

the answer, jaysen, to your question of how long is the scrivener code is…
3 novels (of varying lengths)

as for how many novels it has impacted… i,d say something more than 3.
you could argue that a good number of those would have been written anyway, without scrivener. but it,s probably equally true that kevin would have found some other procrastination if he hadn,t had coding to do, so it,s probably a safe bet to say that it,s been a net positive on the world of literature.

I see you, in typical feline nature, have misread my sentence. Maybe the logic exceeded the area of your brain committed to non-mouse-centric thoughts as it built on the original idea that scrivener itself may be a novel. And as a novel, a work of literature and art, scrivener has likely impacted a quantity of people that is greater than the readership of most novels.

Which puts Master Blount in an elite circle of authors.

that depends entirely on which sentence you think I was responding to.

i see. you were just being sycophantic in the hope of extra credit from teacher.

And you’ve never purred when the can of tuna was sitting next to the can opener?

if i hear the can opener, i,m like a cat on a tractor with a chainsaw.

Looking for bonus points… I mean tuna too I see.

For the record, our version of you prefers steak to fish. Seems odd, but it’s cheaper so we made no effort to alter his tastes.

there is a lot of confusion amongst monkeyfolks about why cats purr. it is not, as many believe, a sign of affection, but rather the noise we make when we are feeling smug.

in this specific example, it is smugness that I have my human well trained and am about to get some lovely fishy-in-the-dishy and other animals will be going without.

Excellent point. That also explains the frequent occurrence of dislike of the feline by the humans.

as long as you people keep opening cans, i can live with that.

We don’t open cans here. We just go catch it fresh. Especially fish.

Hmm… Maybe our feline isn’t all that smart and prefers less-than-fresh fish.

you catch your own cows?

's wickede cus :smiling_imp: … wicked! wicked! wicked! :wink: :smiling_imp:
Cus Fluff

Cows and fish. Cows are large and get put into cold storage but given the number of folks that share we get a fresh one every couple of weeks. Compared to the grocer/butcher, Reepicheep gets fresh beef when he wants it.

you named your cat after a mouse?

If by “you”, you mean the plural made up of my wife and kids, then yes. Reepicheep showed up on our doorstep one January day. He was very small. And being a grey tiger looked oddly mouse like in his kitten-hood. He now makes the rodent population pay for the injustice of his name.

I personally feel that it has made him emotionally stronger. Maybe I took too much from Mr Cash, At least my son isn’t named Sue.

As pigfender pointed out (although he was wrong about the “Free Stuff” page being hidden - there’s a link to it at the bottom of every page of our main site), I wrote a tool called Xcode Statistician to tell me this sort of thing. It tells me that the current code base of Scrivener contains 1,111,938 words. Not all of that will be my own, as I use a few snippets of code from elsewhere, but the majority is. So, what’s that, about ten novels’ worth?

Half of a volume of one of the Game of Thrones books? (And fewer people die.)