A similar but not identical issue ...

… which I have had with some apps – and Scrivener is one I think – is at upgrade time.
All the apps I want around permanently are in the main applications folder, but if I want to try something out, I will often put it in my non-administrator ~/applications. I am always running as a non-administrator from that account, so when I download an upgrade version of an app and drag it to the main Applications folder, I am asked for authentication … that’s great, just what I want.
But there are one or two apps – Tables comes to mind, and Scrivener too – where in spite of that I get a “You don’t have sufficient priveleges” alert. For those apps, to simply replace the old version, I have to be either in the Administrator account, or I can get round it by first deleting the old app – to do which I have to authenticate … apparently my permissions extend that far – and I can then install the new version, again being required to authenticate. This is merely a nuisance … I know just what’s going on and how to get round the problem.
I think Amber V’s right. You need to make the installing and running the tutorial as easy as possible for new users, particularly those of them that have just moved over from Windows and may be thrown by Unix permissions issues.
I would be chary, however, of distributing it with all permissions fully set to on, as that potentially defeats the security the system gives. It’s OK for Amber V in her extensive knowledge and experience at systems levels to do this if she wants, but I wouldn’t recommend it for newbies!

Mark

Well, if you are installing Scrivener by dragging it from the DMG to the Applications folder and getting permissions messages there, that is nothing to do with Scrivener as the drag-and-drop is all done by the OS system. And I have done nothing to the permissions of Scrivener - it uses those set when it is built by Xcode.

If you are having this problem with the updater, then that code was written by somebody else…

So, I don’t think there is much I can do about this. As for folks switching from Windows, I reckon most of them will have just one account on their Mac - their administrator account. Permissions, as you say, are just a part of OS X.

As for the tutorial - I have had no users e-mailing me who have experienced the permissions problem because of different user accounts. By far the majority of users who e-mail with problems are those who have not read the instructions on the DMG, and who have launched Scrivener directly from the DMG rather than dragging it to the Applications folder.

Best,
Keith

Sure, as I say, I’m fully aware this is a system issue, and as I say, it happens with other apps. It’s just a very minor inconvenience, no more than that. With apps where there is an updater and I use it, I don’t have problems – well, using the system updater, if you want to install and keep the package you have to be logged in as the administrator, because the package is written into /system/library/packages/ and you can’t authenticate for that – but in general I always prefer to download the newer versions and then install them from the download, as that way I have a backup DMG if ever anything gets corrupted.

No, my point, Keith was not that I expected you to do anything to change that issue, rather (a) a warning for other new users like the OP on the other thread, that this is something else they may encounter, on the one hand, and on the other that (b) I thought that Amber V’s suggestion about full permissions on the install was not a good one.

And I don’t think it’s just switchers from Windows who run with just the admin account either … I know a fair number of longish-term Mac users who are not too technology orientated who do that too.

Cheers
Mark

Actually I only ever use my admin account. :slight_smile: I don’t really have any need of other accounts on my Mac.

I don’t either, and I used to only use the admin account, but when I bought this MBPro with its Intel processor, I got to thinking about the possibilities of malware etc. – even though there is apparently still none for OS-X – especially as I get sent many files from Chinese Windoze boxes, which tend to be riddled with viruses, and I decided that having an admin account and a non-admin account made sense 'cos that way, nothing could install itself in the main system without asking for authentication first.

Mark

It’s always a good idea to not use an admin account as your every day account, on any operating system. That said, Mac OS’s admin account is pretty secure–for an admin account. :slight_smile: It’s not at all like running Windows as Admin, or Linux as root. You still have to authenticate to make changes to the base system, this process grants your action temporary root status. Admins cannot see into other user’s personal files (which means they cannot damage them). You still get warning messages when the binary signature has changed and something tries to access Keychain, or when a data file tries to open an application for the first time. So, it certainly is safer to keep two accounts and leave the admin flag off for your everyday account–but it is not as much a folly to run admin all the time, as it is on other systems. This has been my experience anyway.

Since it is the default installation setup to create an admin account with automatic login, Keith is certainly right in that most switchers are going to be running single-account admin systems.

I’ll put a notice in the FAQ regarding this issue with the tutorial not opening, and how to get the tutorial out of the bundle.

Don’t worry about the note in the FAQ, Amber, as I’m implementing a workaround (your suggested “save tutorial elsewhere” solution) for 1.04.

Thanks!
Keith

Okee!

Right on AmberV - I’d seriously slap anyone using our macs in admin mode for anything other than admin - especially now some have Parallels and are running windoze.
Also, macs are very covetable and people are always asking to have a go … or just look at their emails. Guest account keeps my desktop as I like it and no prying eyes and fingers in the works.