A "slower" but more accurate Session Target tracker

Dear Scrivener developers,

I’m currently working on a book-length project and I find the Session Target tracker to be very useful in breaking down the project into manageable chunks. I make heavy use of inline annotations, and I have been searching on the forum for ways to exclude inline annotations in the Session Target tracker. From these two threads – url[/url] – I learned that, for performance reasons, the word count on the bottom of the editor as well as the Session Target tracker will count all words typed in documents included in Compile, regardless of whether they are a part of inline annotations or not. A more accurate, though slower, word count can be found in Project Statistics.

I entirely understand the speed concern. Therefore, I suggest adding a “slower,” but more accurate, Session Target tracker as a part of Project Statistics. It can be as simple as an extra line showing the current word count minus the word count at the end of last session. This way, users who use inline annotations and inline footnotes frequently can track how much “real” progress they made during a session without compromising the speed of the existing live word counter.

Thanks for the consideration!

Oh, I’d really appreciate something like that a lot!

In my case, I try to make sure I get a lot of background and lore together to bind my projects together. I prefer having pretty much everything in the project included in compile, so that I can make backups that way as well. That means, I get a lot more words registered than I really intend on having registered.

Personally, I’d be just fine with word- and character counter options that just exclude everything that isn’t located in the Manuscript section. But I can see that a little bit of love for those using inline and other commenting would be a good idea.

I’d love to see something like that happen.

FYI, inspector comments are not counted in the session target, and you can freely convert between the two styles of comments. Unless you exclude them during compile, they’ll also be added to the output.

If you want to convert from one type to another in Scrivener, the Edit-Tranformations menu is helpful.