A small problem with keyboard shortcuts

I have created some keybord shortcuts under System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse: F2 for underline, F3 for italics, F4 for bold. But now, under the pull down menu Text > Font, the newly chosen shortcuts appear only for “Underline”, not for “Italics” and “Bold”, which have no shortcut indication at all…

Moreover, F3 and F4 don’t work properly. Pressing them once turns the selected text into italics / bold, but pressing them again doesn’t eliminate the italics / bold face, as might be expected. The only way to get rid of them is by deselecting italics / bold in the pull down menu.

Is this a bug, or is there something I don’t understand?

Are you coupling Cmd with the function keys?

OS X 10.5.8 PB G4 Scrivener 1.54n

I assigned the same F-key shortcuts to the same commands, Scrivener only, in the KB-Mouse preference pane. All are working perfectly.

Suggestions:

1. Log out and in.
  2. Start up with the shift key, and see if the problem disappears. If so, there is a conflicting application.
  3. Check if you (or another app) assigned F3 and F4 to a context that is reachable while Scrivener is foremost.

sampler
Added: See https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/changing-scrivener-keyboard-shortcuts-doesnt-always-work/6801/1 for a similar issue. The most reliable way that I’ve found for changing application-specific hot keys is via iKey. I’m also curious. The built-in shortcuts for Italic, Bold, and Underline are pretty much standard; why the change?