A suggestion to the developer about a possible feature in the Editor

One of the things about Scrivener that I wish were possible would be WYSIWYG in the Editor, or in Comp mode.

I stubbornly stayed away from Scrivener (maybe all of 2016) bc it did not have that capability (which implies that competing programs may have a particular lure for customers that Scrivener does not have). iBooks Author, does have that capability. But it is a pale competitor in so many other ways, that I eventually got on board.

The point is, WYSIWYG is quite helpful. It allows us to review what we have in the same vision the reader will see it. This is why I compile to epub as many as 5-6 times a day, and review things in Books on a Mac.

I’m not going to whine that WYSIWYG is unavailable directly in Scrivener, I understand why it isn’t. But here is an idea which would add a feature to the Editor or to Comp mode which I think would be a really nice improvement:

Why not set up a keystroke using maybe the ‘fn’ key and another key in combo, that would toggle on and off the visibility of the separators in the Editor and in Comp mode? That would allow us to visualize things like scene breaks and chapter breaks much more closely to how they would look to the reader.

You could also make it a momentary event, invoked as long as a particular key was held down, bc we don’t need to see these things as permanent changes, only as momentary previews.

And you could also have it remove from view lines representing images, or have a thumbnail of that image appear in place of ‘<$img:image1;w=122>’ momentarily.

Actually, having thumbnails representing images in the Editor and Comp mode permanently might be a great improvement to the platform.

Hi

There is already page view that allows to work in a WYSIWYG fashion…
And scrivenings to see scene separations in a continuous text display.

This said, for everything else that is to be rendered at compile and visible only after (such as the images you mentioned), LL is not interested if I am not mistaken, due to the fact that it would require live processing in order to render it in the editor.
Making things heavier process-wise, on an almost-perpetual level.
Some people have asked for accurate page numbers, and that was kind of the answer they got.
Answer that is not only understandable, but also makes perfect sense.

The philosophy of the software is more of the likes of : you know what you want, you know what you’ve got in there will give it to you at compile, no need for more. (My perception of it – I’m not part of LL.)
And from my user’s perspective, such an approach is perfectly fine.


I just ran a test :
I added an image and scaled it to the size of a thumbnail.
Then I successfully (without any problem) assigned it a character attributes style.

Meaning :
There is nothing stopping you from inserting images (any size) in the editor as a reference, and creating a “to delete” character attribute style (or a paragraph formatting style, your images being each a paragraph of their own) and assigning it to your images, have them be removed from the compiled output, by using this “to delete” style to do so, in the styles panel of your compile format.

[EDIT] I just ran it through compile : it works.

2 Likes

Correct. Not just because it requires live processing, but because it violates Scrivener’s fundamental model: write first, format later.

If you have reached the point where you are making the kind of adjustments that require looking at the final output multiple times a day, then you may have reached the point where tools other than Scrivener can play an important role.

1 Like