A template ``stamp''

I have been making use of templates lately and find myself wanting to make template changes as I learn more from day to day work. Working on a scriv file but realizing that I would like its template to be different – that leads to a complicated situation, in which I go back to the template, modify it, save it to replace its earlier version, and then place the working .scriv file into the new template.

My first thought: I am probably an idiot who has not seen a better way to do this.

My second thought: It would be wonderful if one could apply templates AFTER starting a project. If I could in effect say to Scrivener, please take the project `Work of Genius' and apply to it all the features of the template Novel.’’

Just a thought. Anyone else have similar yearnings? Or a better answer than mine?

David

There is no real way of doing this. For instance, consider your project has a hundred documents representing scenes - how would the template know which parts you wanted to make as part of the template? So instead, it is best to make a copy of the project and then delete what you don’t want in the template before saving it as a template.
Best,
Keith

Keith - I think you read the request backwards.

I read that as taking an updated template and applying its formatting and structure and whatever else to a scrivener file after the scrivener file had already been created and used.

I assume in this case that you’d want the template to apply to every scrivening in the project, because if you wanted to pick and choose, well, that would get really complicated.

Yes, that was my idea. A scriv file exists, say, with no template. After I’ve put in 3 bits of Research and a couple of files in Drafts and a clipping, I decide I want Template X to apply.

Of course, I don’t expect Template X to magically know what goes where in the already-existing file. But the point is that with this retroactive stamp, the template structure – labels, status, saved searches – is available to apply to the already existing material in the binder.

I don’t expect anything to be done to those scrivenings until I decide. The point is that those decisions are now available. Instead of having to decide on a structure and then work on a specific instance, I can change the structure after the experience of working on a specific case.

This of course would be useful only to those of us who do many different pieces of work that we’d like to have the same tools for – stories, essays, articles, research papers.

David

I read it as the opposite… Either way, it’s a big ask/very difficult/impossible, and isn’t going to happen. :slight_smile:
Best,
Keith

No problem, Keith. That’s why it’s called a wish list.

Best,
David