A Windows version, pretty please?

All my writing friends rave about Scrivener. From what they say and from the info online I can understand why. But I’m one of those backwards Windows users. Please pretty please port it to Windows :unamused: And if that’s not an option, has Scrivener been tried on any Mac emulators?

As I doubt Keith is into Windows programming, so I wouldn’t hold my breath for a Windows version any time soon…

Frankly I would doubt it’s worth the effort. Why not buy a Mac? You know you want to… :slight_smile:

The following is NOT intended as an insult:
I’m always quite astonished as of the number of Windows users wanting a port.

In my opinion, mac os and windows applications are so different from each other that (for me) it is simply impossible to like a mac application if you are a windows user and vice versa. The way things are done in windows contradicts the way of osx. The way things are done in osx contradicts the way in windows.
If you (= the user, not you personally) are able to work with windows, then you like its philosophy (which is ok, don’t get me wrong, I wish I’d like windows!). Otherwise you wouldn’t use it. But then the whole concept of Scrivener in theory should disgust you (again, you= the average windows user) and you wouldn’t like to use it.

I have never seen any windows user who likes mac os. And never any osx user who likes windows.
Nevertheless many windows users want Scrivener. I find this really interesting.

Again: This is NOT intended as an insult to you! I really think aout this matter, but I don’t come to any resolution…

Novatlan.

It is called inertia. Folks like the FUNCTION that mac progies bring, but their inertial energy is already moving them in the M$ realm. To break away requires significant effort or knowledge. Very rarely is MONETARY COST given as a reason for sticking with M$.

So if the real issue here is effort of switching to OSX then we need to find ways to help folks overcome that effort. Apple has a a small amount of work in this direction, but the reality of the situation is that they are not looking to convert existing intermediate and advanced users, but only novice and new users. I have no answer to this problem other than to offer personal assistance in overcoming others fears of the change and to help provide function workarounds for the few issues that might arise.

To your latter point of users not liking the alternate OS I have never run into this when the comparison change is M$/Linux to OSX. I have seen it the other way around. All the M$/Linux folks say is “I have so much invested in QQQQQ”.

For the record I use windows on my mac every day. I am one of the converts who finally succumbed to the lure of OSX and decided that the effort was worth the potential issues. Bay was that a good idea.

Florismk,

To save KB the potential discomfort of answering this, no. As indicated earlier this would be a mammoth undertaking that would require a rewrite of the mac version to provide some semblance of uniformity across platforms. Since Scrivener is written, maintained and managed by ONE person this is not going to happen (for the record that person is KB). Support on the other hand is something that we all like to help KB with. He will always chime in, but he lets us help where we can.

Also I believe this issue has been addressed in great detail by KB within the last 12 months here on the forum. Do a search for windows version and I think you will find his answer.

Tacitus does raise an option that i would suggest you consider. Mac hardware has some of the best price/performance numbers of all the manufacturers. there is a significant number of interoperability options built into the OS as well as several virtual machine solutions that will allow you to run windows (right this minute I have 2 windows VM, 1 solaris VM and 1Linux VM running) without needing to restart the system (I am posting this in Safari from OSX). If you haven’t considered a Mac and would like more info anyone here would be happy to share our experience with you.

I agree with the people who suggest buying a Mac. My two favorite applications, DevonThink and Scrivener, are both Mac only and so useful that they go a long way to justifying the switch all by themselves.

Katherine

I don’t know where the OP is based but if he works in Higher Education in the UK there are usually some good deals around the end of September/mid October, when Apple does the ‘Back to School’ promotion. Last year Apple were giving away an iPod Nano, or you could take the equivalent cash - about £90 - and put it towards one of the Classics or the Touch. This was on top of the normal education discount which is 15% on hardware.

Not sure if the same discounts apply to schools/further education.

I actually like both! Well, that’s a lie. I only like Windows while I love OS X. So, I can understand why so many Windows users want Scrivener — it’s like wanting to bring Windows closer to OS X’s level.

Then again, I only like Windows because I’ve dabbled in Linux, Ubuntu and Fedora. Gentoo wouldn’t even compile, though I should go back at that now that they’ve done away with that. Yeah, Linux, It makes me go, “Yeah, I hope my biggest rival / worst enemy is using this.”

Now, when linux users start asking for Scrivener, that’ll be the day… when um… someone tells them to code it themselves? Though, this probably says something about linux users is that at a nanowrimo forum, someone asked a question about novel writing software for Ubuntu and one of the answers was to use Emacs which segued into using vi. Because Writer’s Café, CeltX and OpenOffice aren’t barebones enough I suppose.

Already been done. :slight_smile: There was even discussion on whether or not OpenStep could reasonably replace Cocoa.