A workaround for excluding prologues from chapter numbering

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling with this issue for a long time and just came up with a solution. It isn’t perfect, but it works.

The issue was:
My novel has a prologue. I want its title to be PROLOGUE. (No chapter number).
I do want all the other chapters to have a number, and for the numbering to start with ONE.

There seems to be a way to manage this in iOS but not in Windows.

I’ve seen various bits of advice in the forums but none of them worked. Happily, I think I’ve worked it out. It’s a bit awkward but it works:

Put your Prologue in the ‘Front Matter’ folder. (After the Title Page, if you’re using that).
Manually enter the title Prologue in the same font you’ll be using for your chapter numbers when you compile.
Include it in the compile. That’s all!

I’ve been searching forever, so I hope this helps someone.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I was banging my head trying to figure out how to do this, too!!

1 Like

If you’re using Scrivener 3 – which didn’t exist for Windows when the original post was written – a better solution would be to use a different Section Layout for the Prologue. Co-opting the Front Matter folder will work, but is likely to cause issues with page numbering: probably the Prologue should be numbered, but not the “true” Front Matter documents like the title page, ToC, and so on.

You’re right, of course - and I’m delighted to say that Scrivener 3 does handle the prologue perfectly. In fact, I don’t even need to use a different setion layout.
Having just recently gotten Scrivener 3, I’m struggling a bit with compiles - but I know it will be great once I get to grips with it. (Rather a big learning curve!) :roll_eyes: