A workaround while we wait for the Android version

Hi,

I can see that there is a lot of threads about Android and of course we all (android users) would love this. Any way, while we wait there actually is a workaround, that many maybe do not consider.

All the documents are stored as rtf-files and you can edit them in Notepad, Word or other prefered editor. I use this method my self, if I am on the fly and need to add or edit some text.

BUT, the challenge is, that all these rtf-files are named with numbers. It would help a lot, if they where named with their document names instead. in fact it would be such a help that I personaly would not need the android version that much.

Is it possible?

Thanks by the way for making my life as a writer so much more fun with Scrivener. I love it :wink:

Best regards, Morten Bracker

Editing those RTF files in an external editor is a recipe for disaster, as they will be out of sync with the .scrivx and other major parts of the project. I think Windows now has File > Sync > With External Folder. You should use that and edit those files, and then when you re-open your project in Scrivener, the changes are automatically incorporated.

At least, that’s what I understand, though I have never had to use it myself.

Mark

No disaster. If I open and edit the rtf files, save them and then open Scrivener the changes are there. I haven’t experinced any problems.

As described in my request here, it would just help if I could actualy navigate the files with document names instead of numbers.

Well, good luck, but doing so is highly counselled against by Lit&Lat. Quote from Kewms of the support team:

in Project Folder Rules? - #7 by kewms

Mark

If you use Sync With external folder, then you get the Binder names as well… and no risk of disaster. I used it sometimes before the release of iOS Scrivener.

I just want to jump in here. This has been a very helpful discussion, as I was not using the sync function to share between my PC, laptop, and Android. Yikes, I see now that I could have corrupted a file that way. But by creating a new folder outside of the project files, then pointing the Sync function to it from my PC and laptop, I’m able to share the project safely, I see. As for my Android, I edit the files in OfficeSuite and save to the new folder I set up for syncing. It works very well!

yes me too