About Corkboard

I’m a writer in Sweden who’s fairly new to Scrivener. Love it! It’s quickly become my number one tool for writing (ousting both Final Draft and Screenwriter). Now, This is going to be a silly request but our brains all work differently (mine especially) and that is what makes us humans so exciting - isn’t it? Diversity…

Here we go. There’s one little (or big - don’t know programming) tweak I’d love to have. Spending endless hours, days and months in corkboard mood writing my index cards, updating them and re-arranging them, I find I spend huge amounts of time adjusting the cards in freeform mode to make them line up in straight lines. You might think I should spend my time in arranged mode but that isn’t at all the same thing. I still need to group them together and move a chunk of cards from this stack to that. Keeping acts and scenes in the visualised stacks
I’m probably OCD at some level but having a snap-to-grid function (preferably one where you choose grid size) would do a world of difference for me and maybe some others to.

Again - looooove my Scrivener. Hope my wish makes it onto the action list.

Take care
/David

Glad you’re liking Scrivener!

Why don’t you use columns or rows for what you are after, using the multiple group selection feature?

For instance, suppose you have your binder divided up into three folders, Act 1, Act 2 and Act 3, each containing various scenes, then if you select the Act 1, Act 2 and Act 3 folders in the binder, you will see the scenes contained in all three acts on the corkboard, and you can choose to view them in a grid, as rows, or as columns. If you’re working with acts and scenes and want to keep them aligned, I would think that this would be a better approach than using the freeform corkboard.

All the best,
Keith

Hm, Ok… hadn’t tried that. Great feature. Should have seen it before.
It’s gonna be useful. Thanks.

However, there’s no way to have those columns/rows AND freeform within them… is there?
As I said in my posting. It really is an OCD thing… :slight_smile: My brain simply likes the neatness and it bugs me when, say; I want a visual space between two index cards because I know that I’m going to need two or more scenes there but they haven’t been written yet. So that visual flexibility AND the neatness of a snap-to function is what I’m really asking for I guess.

:slight_smile:
/David

No, there’s no way for that, as the entire point of them is to arrange the structure. :slight_smile: If we had the freeform corkboard snap to grid, it would only cause confusion for many users, so there are no plans to add this, sorry.

All the best,
Keith

What about a “spacer” card to insert temporarily where you’re going to want more things? It’s a little different visually, but it works with using the stacked corkboard and after a bit of use you can see it the same way, as a flag for “more stuff goes here”. Make a template using a special label or status (then set to show those on the corkboard from View > Use Label In or View > Corkboard Options) and a title or any placeholder text you want for the synopsis, and you can then quickly insert them when working on the corkboard. When you’re ready to add whatever needs to go there, either just enter it straight in the placeholder document, replacing the existing text, and change the label/status, or delete it and add a new blank card (or one based on a different template).

L and L guys and gals –

If there’s a way to “tag” a binder “document” to always/only open in Corkboard mode, I haven’t found it.

At present, after selecting the “document” (blank page), I then have to click on Corkboard mode.

Thanks!

Convert it to a group and use View > Editor > Lock Group View Mode.

Instead of snap to grid, how about an “align vertically” and “align horizontally” function, as with Scapple?

That’s a bit out of scope for Scrivener, sorry. (It involves bogging down the main menus.)

KB – Thanks!!!
John Gordon
images/smilies/icon_lol.gif