Add Files to the Compile Folder

Is it possible to add Files to the Compile Output folder automatically during Compile ?

With pictures it is possible through the Scrivener-Link-Tweak but I also want to add some customable
.sty-Files or supplemental include Files for later usage. (e.g. PDF-Files, TIkz-Image files etc.)

Copying them manually to the compile Folder isn’t a suitable option.

There isn’t a way to have the compiler automatically populate the compile folder with research files, but out of curiosity, why is it not an option to have a stable compile output folder where your support files reside? This is how I typically work and I’ve never had any troubles with it. §22.5.1 (pg. 327) of the user manual covers how to set up a stable output environment where you can keep auxiliary files and merely update the compiled components within it.

It’s if you want to change the content files in the output folder.
Imagine some tikz-images included in the document. They are kept within the research folder of scrivener for easier access to edit them and then it would be quite nice to let them automatically copied/updated to the output folder within a compile run.

Currently you gotta edit them in a different editor and save them or copy them manually to the output folder each time you change them.

Since it works for images, why not for other text or other content.

I see, yeah in that case I would just edit them straight out of the compile folder rather than hosting them in a project and exporting them each time. I do not disagree with you by the way, it would be nice to be able to specify a manifest of “research” files that are intended to be typesetting components. I just have never thought of an elegant way to approach the problem. The image linking technique is already borderline presumptuous, as it rewrites the hyperlink text with the filename. I think it would be over the line for any internal link to do that—it would essentially render internal Scrivener Links useless for anything other than an export feature. Something in the Contents compile option pane (like a checkbox to enable a drop-down that lets you pick a folder that will export its contents to the compile folder when an MMD method is selected) which is one of the few project-specific locales in the compile settings would be an okay solution, except for the fact that Contents is already pretty stuffed to the gills. If you have any ideas for an implementation let me know.

Best implementation for me would be a supplemental Folder below the Research or a subfolder of the research Folder. The content of this folder should just be copied as it is to the compile folder.
I currently even place the mmd-scrivcustom*.tex files in my research folder and just copy the text to the LateX output options pane because these huge header files are not editable in such a tiny popup window.
And it’s rather impossible to customize everything with meta-data

I use Scrivener pretty much for writing structural analysis reports which have lots of reusable and templated content and they are rapidly developed (time is money in this world isn’t it). These reports consist out of written text, calculations, MatLab output and PDF-output from other Applications. It gets really messy to sort and change al that stuff within a finder folder.

So far scrivener has for me the best workflow to create these documents and give them a consistent design (with LaTeX) as well as a nice way to organize these documents as a scrivener project.

Thanks, glad you like the workflow. I put it together mainly from how I felt I would get the best use of it. There are quick and simple selections for basic proofing—just set it to Article and compile—custom for when you want a little more control, and then of course you can abandon the automation entirely and use the texmf folder and MMD meta-data to establish document style for maximum control, as well as specify add-on .tex files using meta-data.

I’m a big proponent of centralisation when possible. It means that if I clean up a typesetting glitch while working in project #13, if for some reason I have to go back to project #8 which used the same output style and compile, the glitch is fixed because both 8 & 13 are using the same boilerplate resources. So that is why I prefer the approach of using the filesystem for this kind of stuff, but I see where you are coming from as well.

Well I still have this whole bit on the to-do list to think about for down the road, so I’ve added your thoughts to that file.