Addding "convert format to default text style" button?

That’s about it: I want to add a “convert format to default text style” button to the main tool bar, but so far as I can tell, this isn’t possible. :frowning:

Truly, that seems to be one of my most used functions, and having to click through the Edit drop down menu gets tiresome. Especially since it brings up another menu of choices and all I ever want is the plain vanilla one.

For me the ideal would be a simpler, no choices button, for the tool bar that would let me take care of it with a single click.

This would be similar to many other programs that have a ‘print’ command in the File menu that leads to a menu of many choices (which pages, how many copies, etc.) BUT they also have a simple Print button on the tool bar that just does a default ‘print one copy of it all on the default printer’.

Hi Beth

You may find the menu express key sequence helpful for that command: Alt-D C X [Enter].

Express keys offer an advantage for those of us who don’t take the plain vanilla. For example, modifying the sequence to Alt-D C X [Space] [Enter] converts the Font only.

Rgds – Jerome

You can also create a custom keyboard shortcut for the command in the Keyboard section of Tools > Options. Filter by “Default” to find it quickly.

Ah, thank you both! I will check out both options and see which I find easier to type. :slight_smile:

Whoops, follow up question: I think I want to go with the custom keyboard, but how do I make sure I am not reusing a combination already assigned to some other function? Will the program prevent me from doing that? Or at least warn me?

Or is there an alphabetical list of all assigned key sequences I should check? (I couldn’t find one in the manual.)

I’m thinking of using control-DS for ‘document style’ btw. I tried just typing that inside a document and didn’t see anything happen but that doesn’t mean it didn’t trigger a function that just doesn’t happen to apply to the particular document, or whatever it does isn’t a visible change.

If the keyboard shortcut is already assigned to another menu item, it will appear in red when you enter it for the new item. You can either change the new one to something else or search for the shortcut and then remove it from the menu item already using it, by clicking the circled “x”. Avoid using Ctrl+Alt in a shortcut, as this typically ends up interpreted as an AltGr keystroke and won’t work.

Ctrl+D, S will work when the focus is in the document text, but in the binder, outliner and corkboard it’s going to be overridden by the Duplicate command which uses the shortcut Ctrl+D. You could change or remove the shortcut for Duplicate or choose something else for convert formatting. I use Ctrl+Shift+G, Ctrl+Shift+D, which in practice is just holding down Ctrl+Shift while typing G and D in sequence. Ctrl+G is used in Scrivener’s menus as the lead for combos (that is, we basically ran out of shortcuts, so we had to make them two-parters like Ctrl+G, Ctrl+D). I use Cmd-Shift-D as the shortcut for this on the Mac (I swiped it from something else I never use, but I didn’t want to do that on Windows for tech support reasons) and it was easier to add Shift to the first part of the combo on Windows than have it Ctrl+G, Ctrl+Shift+D. Personal preference.

Thank you for the info – good to know the program is looking to protect clueless users from themselves.

I’ll have to cogitate more on what keys to use – my aging memory makes me prefer codes I can hook some meaning to.

(I’ll stop pestering you now, promise.)

Like I said, you can always remove a shortcut from a different menu function you don’t care about. If you don’t regularly need to use Duplicate without Subdocuments, for example, you could remove the Ctrl+Shift+D shortcut from there and use it for convert to default style.