Added a flourish to end of chapters/sections/sub, but have duplicates

I’ve added a flourish to the end of chapters, sections, subsection and subsubsection, but I’m getting duplicates if and when the chapter and/or section and/or subsection and/or subsubsection end together, thus repeating the flourish.

Some background …

Using the LaTeX froufrou package (Package froufrou - CTAN) I’ve added the following flourish to the end of each chapter, section, subsection and subsubsection:

by placing the LaTeX call to \froufrou within the Section LayoutsSection suffix for Chapters, Sections, Subsections and Subsubsections:

the flourish provides a low-key separator at the end of each Chapter, Section, Subsection and Subsubsection, e.g.:

Unfortunately, when more than one of the Chapters, Sections, Subsections and Subsubsections come to an end at the same place, the flourish is repeated, sometimes twice, and as shown below, three times when a Chapter, Section and Subsection all ended in the same place.

Any thoughts on how to prevent multiple flourishes from appearing at the end of 2 or more Chapters, Sections, Subsections and/or Subsubsections, using Scrivener and/or LaTeX, would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading,
scrive
:thinking:

Try using Separators instead of the suffix. A callout at the end of section 24.4.2 in the manual says they will not blindly duplicate separation between items.

I don’t know if LaTeX code works there, but it’s worth a try.

2 Likes

Hi drmajorbob,

Thanks for the suggestion … let me have a look and I’ll let you know if I get it to work … right now I need to get some sleep!

Thanks again,
scrive

The other way is to save flourish as image file and and paste in the image at end of chapters etc. The image should be compiled and maintained. I plan to do a intro to chapters in a different font but then capture image of this and rather than try to save formatting of different font, use image at beginning of chapter with intro in it to be incorporated when compile book.

1 Like

Hi GoalieDad,

Thank you for the suggestion.

The wonderful power and flexibility that Scrivener that allows just such an option is why I have invested close to two years into the platform. My guess is that makes me a bit of a newcomer to the Scrivener clan, as I surmise others have also recognized Scrivener’s power and flexibility and have invested a great deal of time and effort as well.

That said, my dilemma is that my chapter/section/subsection count is at 230 and counting, so the option to place a physical image at the end of each chapter/section/subsection (as attractive that may be as a way to eliminate the duplicates and triplicates of the flourishes as I mentioned above) would likely be a bit of a housekeeping chore that, if possible, I’d like to avoid if possible.

I still need to see if using Separators (as drmajorbob suggested) would help eliminate the duplicate and triplicate flourishes before I make any decisions.

Until then, thank you for your suggestion to use images as a way to eliminate the duplicates and triplicates of the flourishes.

Thanks again,
scrive

Do avoid it. There is a way to get what you want from section layouts.

If you do want an image anywhere in the text, don’t place the physical image there. Place it outside the Manuscript and use <$img:imageName> in the text.

1 Like

Hi drmajorbob,

I’ve been busy tinkering with using “Separators instead of the suffix” to add a flourish to the end of Chapters, Sections and Subsections. As per your suggestion (thank you very much!) I’ve successfully implemented adding a single LaTeX flourish (e.g. \froufrou) at the end of each Chapter/Section/Subsection without having duplicates and triplicates appear at the end of the Chapters.

FYI, in response to your comment,

the LaTeX \froufrou command works quite well when placed in the Separator between sections field in the screen below (apologies for not remembering the name of this particular screen):

Note that I needed to initially select the Custom option for the Separator between sections pop-up field before I could enter the LaTeX \froufrou command into the corresponding text field.

In summary, I placed the LaTeX \froufrou command into the Separator between sections field for the Chapter, Section and Subsection Section Layouts that are listed in Section Layouts.

It turned out that, with the changes I’ve outlined above, I was almost where I wanted to be with a \froufrou flourish at the end of each Chapter/Section/Subsection. I need to note, however, that I am likely the least knowledgeable person with respect to the literary etiquette surrounding end-of-Chapter flourishes.

My initial premise was that, with the above changes, there should be a flourish at the end of the each Chapter, Section and Subsection. For some reason, however, perhaps due to a protocol I am not aware of, NO flourish appeared at the end of each Chapter, only after each Section and Subsection.

So, I returned to the Section Layouts section of the same screen I referenced above and tinkered with the Suffix Section again. For the Chapter Section Layouts, I re-inserted the LaTeX \froufrou command into the Section suffix field as indicated below:

I did NOT re-insert the LaTeX \froufrou command into the Suffix Sections for Section nor Subsection Section Layouts.

So far, the LaTeX \froufrou flourishes seem to be behaving as I had thought they ought to, with single \froufrou flourishes appearing at the end of each Chapter, Section and Subsection, but this may change as I go forward and learn more about my 500+ page document, or until someone points out that according to Hoyle, there should be NO flourish at the end of each Chapter.

With your suggestion, I am particularly grateful that I do not need to place an image file at the end of each Chapter, Section, and Subsection. With 230 such sections, using the Separators options as you suggested, I can avoid the added overhead of having to maintain that number of images, particularly if at some future time, I decide I need to change, or possibly remove altogether, the flourishes I’ve added to the end of each Chapter, Section and Subsection.

Thank you again for your suggestion,
scrive

The dialog box says Separator between sections, not after sections. It separates documents of that section type, with no regard for other section types.

Hi drmajorbob,

Aaahh! Thanks for pointing that out!

So does that have any bearing on the protocol for flourishes. I did a quick search but did not see anything on point.

I can go either way!

Thanks again,
scrive

You can use Separators and other features to compile flourishes, but there is no protocol for flourishes in particular.

1 Like

Hi drmajorbob,

At this juncture, for consistency, I’ll likely stay with a single end-of-Chapter flourish.

I may be a bit late at bringing this up, but I’d like to point out that with Scrivener’s various Separators and Suffix options, et al. that I have employed here, I have the option to go either way without too much of an overhead headache to look forward to.

Thanks again for your suggestion,
scrive