Adding a comment gives a save file error

Testing version: 2.9.9.11 Beta (1078037) 64-bit,

I wanted to try the comment feature. When I did, a pop up appeared. Note that I replaced sensitive data with ‘*’ otherwise no other editing of the error message was made. When I delete the comment, the popup does not come back. Normal saving of my document works as it should. It seems to only pop up when creating a comment. Oh, the drive I am storing to has 1TB Free.

Hope this helps!

"The following errors occurred while saving your project.

Could not save project document ‘Thursday’
Failed saving text for document with id: {c632f48b-377d-4f2d-abc7-93005d6866f4}
Error: ‘Could not remove existing .old tmp RTF.
File: ‘//.../public//Books Development Folder/**.scriv/Files/Data/C632F48B-377D-4F2D-ABC7-93005D6866F4/content.old.rtf’’

To avoid losing your latest changes, make sure you have enough space and write access on your storage device.
You can create a copy of your project into another location using the menu File > Save As.
You might also try to compile and save to RTF or DOC format to avoid losing your latest changes."

This error happens usually to users who place their projects in a cloud sharing folder. Try moving the project in your Documents folder or on your Desktop and try again. I believe the error will go away. Another hint is to turn off the cloud sharing service application while using Scrivener.

Well, that is one solution. But I have a NAS (Network storage) that stores important information, keeps backups and makes it possible to access on any computer in the house. This is a common solution for many people. I hope you consider this as something your team could correct in future versions; as it seems to be limited to the “comment” addition. Otherwise, the software works fine storing to a NAS.

Thank you for your consideration

I would recommend start using your NAS drive as a backup drive and not as a working drive. You will also notice speed improvements. Scrivener has sophisticated backup project options, that will allow you to create a backup on your NAS drive every time you close your project for example.

Another trick you might try is place your projects in one common folder with the name “Dropbox” or “OneDrive” (i.e. folder named “Dropbox” in your file path), which will trick the save engine to use a direct file write algorithm. This is unsafe and you MIGHT LOOSE FILES and their full text contents, if your NAS drive connection goes down during a file write operation. This might never happen(and probably NAS drives have their own algorithms to prevent this), but in cases when it happens using a project backup is the only way to restore project state and their file contents easily. You have been warned.