Adding comments?

I’m doing agent rewrites and I’m finding that I wish there were something akin to Word’s insert comments. Is there a way to do something similar in Scrivener? I know I can add notes to the sidepanel, but that’s not what I’m looking for. I’d like to tie the comment to an exact location in the MS.

Thanks!!

Annotations? With “ghost” functionality?

Otherwise, I think KB has already said on this forum that there’ll be a new system for 2.0. Yes, here you are: [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/annotations/7327/2]

H

Yes, there will be something more like the “linked sticky” model as an alternative method, in the future (though I would say it’s going to be more elegant than Word’s implementation). For now, that is precisely what in-line annotations are engineered for: notes that need to be contextually tied to the source text. Ghosting, as suggested, is the best way to diminish their presence.

Also here for a sneak preview. :slight_smile: Ignore the dark background colours, that won’t be default.

Thanks!

The new way looks really great. Can’t wait for 2.0. In the meantime, I tried the annotations, but that didn’t quite do it for me. Maybe it’s a personal preference thing. For now, I’m adding comments directly into the document, then highlighting them so they stand out.

Any word on when 2.0 is coming out?

This doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Both highlighter pens and annotation markings look and act about the same as text when just working in the application day to day. They are segments of text in the document, set apart with a visual style. However highlighters do not have any of the associated features that make them act like a comment. When you compile the draft, you are going to have to go through and strip out every single one of those by hand! With the annotation tool, you just check off a box in the compile options and they are all (for the purposes of the export) wiped out—or you can have them converted into those Word comments you like. There are a bunch of other features for annotation gathering, removal, searching, and so on that you would be giving up, all for a slightly different method of appearance?

Yeah. I didn’t think about removing them all. Annotations just seem like extra steps. Easy to highlight. I figured that once I made the changes based on the notes, I’d delete the notes. Not as easy as hitting that little X in Word’s comments, or going through preferences and unchecking annotations, but I guess it just forces me to really look at what I’ve written.

Annotations are surely less steps than highlights? You just hit shift-cmd-A to start typing an annotation, and hit the combo again to stop typing the annotation…

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, because there is no difference in steps between the two functions. In both cases there are two ways to make a note. You can either with the mouse or keyboard select a range of text you have already written and then press a keyboard shortcut. For highlights that is Cmd-Shift-H, for annotations that is Cmd-Shift-A. Second method, said shortcut is pressed while typing, and until pressed again, everything typed in will be either highlighted or annotated respectively. In this sense both tools act just like the entry of any other format tool, like bold or underline. In fact, that is precisely what they are, a formatting tool. The only difference is that after the point of entry, they have further features which make them act like notes.

Sorry if that was all remedial, but since you said it was more difficult to use then highlights, I had to make sure we were talking about the same thing, since both tools have identical methods of entry, save for which button you click, or which letter you use with the shortcut.

Actually, thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t going about annotations the way you mentioned - Ctrl+A and then again when done. I was going through menus, typing, menus, highlighting… and then said forget it. I’ll just highlight.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

Good, because the other reason I recommend using the built-in note features for notes is that if you do prefer the method that will be coming, you’ll be able to convert real notes to these sidebar style notes. You won’t be able to do that with highlighted sections of text.