Adding Footnote/Comment when pane is retracted

I found the shortcut for adding a comment (CMD+SHift+*) so the issue for me personally is moot, but I noticed when I had the Footnote/Comment pane auto-retracting I couldn’t add a footnote w/ the + symbol on the pane. I figure either I’m doing something wrong, it’s a bug, or the behavior is by design (which would seem odd to me, and I’d be curious as to the thought process behind it).

If the latter isn’t available, I understand. I work Tech support for a software company and totally get not wanting to explain, or dig around to find out every stupid thing some overly-self-entitled customers sometimes want to know.

Thanks for any light shed on those more knowledgeable :smiley: than myself.

When you say that you couldn’t use the “+” button, is it because it was greyed out or because the inspector retracted again every time you went to use it? I just tested this out, and I found that the inspector does indeed auto-retract before you can get to the button in some circumstances - whoops. The problem only occurs when you have the toolbar visible in full screen mode (it seems that the toolbar height is getting subtracted from the available target height of the inspector, which is what is causing the issue) - if you set the toolbar to be hidden in full screen mode in the Appearance preferences, then it works fine. I have added this to the list to fix for the next update - sorry for the inconvenience and rather frustrating behaviour there.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

In Full screen mode (Apple’s version) with the setting to have the inspector retract enabled, and after creating a footnote w/ CMD+Shift+*, and with the inspector still visible, hitting the “+” button did not do anything. The button appears active, but produces no new footnote. This could be because it was not thought that one would create two footnotes on the same text. I did experience the auto-retraction you spoke of, again in full screen mode. I’ll try your workaround.

One more question while I have you (if you come back to this post). Is there a quick key from the Footnote/Comment section in the inspector back to the main editor?

For instance if I highlighted text with the keyboard, and then navigated to make a comment in the inspector with the keyboard (CMD+Shift+*), I haven’t found a way to bring focus back to the primary editor.

Thanks!

Hi,

[quote="Aeolus"In Full screen mode (Apple’s version) with the setting to have the inspector retract enabled, and after creating a footnote w/ CMD+Shift+*, and with the inspector still visible, hitting the “+” button did not do anything. The button appears active, but produces no new footnote.[/quote]
This is because Scrivener doesn’t support having two footnotes at the same spot, so when you hit the “+” button when the selection would create another footnote at the same spot, Scrivener just starts editing the footnote that is already there. However, in this case, you were already editing the footnote, so the button didn’t do anything. But you’re right, the button should probably be disabled in this instance, so I’ve added that to the list.

Yes - just hit the Escape key.

All the best,
Keith