Adding mind map files to Scrivener

I need a little help with importing mind maps.

First of all, my failings: I’m a devote of serendipitous relationships, which leads me away from heirarchical outlining to the fluidity of mind maps. And, yes, while I admire the spunky Scapple which I own, I find it too simple. For the moment I’ve settled on the more robust MindNode app, with XThoughts in reserve.

Question: How to import an editable mind map into my Research folder, for review and roundtrip editing?

Dilemmas, so far—

Problem: When I drag the .mindnode document into Research, it becomes an uneditable image, which works for compact maps, but pixilates when you scroll about a truly massive map with many nodes. Worse, clicking on the proxy image never opens the original document for revisions.

Problem: I can make a Scrivener index card, open to the comments field and add a link to my iCloud-based .mindnode document and—ultimately—open my original for editing, but this buries adding and using my road map in a pile of clicks. I don’t want my road map locked in passenger glove compartment while driving.

Naked desire: Click on map, have MindNode open document, view or alter, return to Scrivener writing.

Suggestions? Advice? Sources for hemlock?

There is really no way around the pixel part if that is how the software saves its previews. What you are seeing here is Quick Look, the same thing you get when you select the .mindnode file in Finder and hit the space bar. These are preview files generated by the host software or by plug-ins that support the format. You might get in touch with them and see if they can adjust their Quick Look preview to use vector PDF instead of raster images—I’m not sure if that’s possible, but I think we might be doing that with Scapple. If you create a very small board and then use Quick Look and expand it to full screen, it remains sharp.

As to the second part, there is a dedicated button in the footer bar for loading research files in external editors, a little “upward swooshing arrow” button, or by simply hitting Ctrl-Cmd-O. I would imagine that alone satisfies most of what you’re looking for in this request. :slight_smile:

[size=80]Right-click to select which editor to use by default.[/size]

You are referring to using the References feature? I don’t know what to tell you as I’m not sure how that could be any further optimised than it is, given what all it provides. Did you have anything specific in mind?

I can share what I do, as I use this feature extensively and never really found it too cumbersome. When I want to jump to a reference I hit Ctrl-Opt-Cmd-N twice in quick succession which first opens the inspector if necessary, loading the reference list and then secondly moves the cursor over to the list itself. I then simply arrow down to the resource I wish to load and hit the return key.

And if you did mean actually creating a text comment in the inspector and making hyperlinks to files within the comment—then yes do try References. :slight_smile: Comments were never designed to be used how References are, and will be considerably clumsier at emulating them. All you have to do to make a Reference is drag the .mindnode file into the list and like I say hit return to load it later, or double-click the icon if you prefer the mouse.