Adding Names to the name generator

I could have sworn I asked this, but I can’t find it anywhere.

I compiled a list of some 3000 Indian surnames that I’d like to add, but I can’t find the format I need to put the file into before being able to add it, and I was hoping someone here could point me at it.

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I did search and didn’t see it if it has been.)

Hi,

You just need to save it as a CSV file. If you have the names in Excel or Numbers, you can save as CSV right from there. CSV just means “comma separated values”. You could have:

Bob, Jane, Sue…

Bob,Jane,Sue…

Bob,
Jane,
Sue…

Bob
Jane
Sue

Any of the above should work. Oh, and if you put the names in order of popularity, with the most common at the top, they will work with the “Obscurity” slider too.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks! I knew it was a CSV file, but didn’t know if there was more than one column. I have it sorted alphabetically, one surname to a line. I’ll give it a shot.

The topic is briefly discussed on pg. 220 in the PDF as well.

By the way, your avatar is linked to a location that requires a password to view the picture, so when we view this thread we get a password request and your avatar never loads. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info about the avatar.

Most forums I am active on have an upload option for avatars. Any reason why that’s not done, here? The only places I have to put images are all password protected. I assumed it was being copied, not simply referenced.

(Yeah, this is not the place to discuss this. Feel free to delete. :slight_smile:)

I’ll look into it when I get a chance. And don’t worry about forking topics. That’s our speciality here. :slight_smile:

I’m on a horse!

What is the estimated lifespan of said horse? It is cold here and physical activity might warm me up.

You and Mr. Coffee leave my horse alone! It’s only mostly dead!

I’d rest my case, but it’s sitting on another horse entirely.