Adding scenes to chapters?

Is there a method to turn parts of chapters into Scrivener scenes? See the test example attachment below of a binder. I have many chapters (a, b, c used only as an illustration) and some have “scenes” i.e. line breaks within the chapters. I’d like to use a Custom symbol to denote these breaks. Is there a relatively easy way to cut a scene from a text chapter and turn it into a Scrivener scene so that I can use Scriver’s Text Separator within the chapter it was cut from.
I tried the obvious: cutting a scene and stacking it onto its chapter, but this messed up the Chapter title when I compiled.
Screenshot 2016-06-16 22.37.21.png

Hi Kawasaki,

I’m not sure what you are looking for. But if I start from the Novel template, chapters are folders in which I store the scenes. Within the scenes there might be paragraph breaks. In case I would contain more than one scene in a document I’d separate the scenes with a blank line. But I usually don’t. As long as each individual document contains an individual scene, the scenes are visually separated if I look at the chapter folder in the scrivenings format. If I compile the Draft in “Standard Manuscript Format” the scenes will be separated with a hashtag #-symbol.

For some reason, it looks like the ‘stacked-upon’ document has different compile settings from the ‘level 1’ chapter documents (judging by my Windows Scrivener settings). If you’re up for customizing the compile settings, visit the Formatting pane and check out the “Level 1+” stack icon row. You can change its to be just like the Level 1 “single page” icon row. On the Mac, this may be easy (if I recall correctly…). Try clicking on the “Level 1” single-page icon row. Then press CMD-c to copy all those settings. Click on the Level 1 stack-of-pages icon row and press CMD-v to paste the settings. This should change the check-boxes on the row, and the example text preview on the bottom half of the compile window so that it all looks like the single-page row.

I hope that’s clear enough to follow, and that it actually works (I’m not at my Mac right now, so I couldn’t test it).

Good luck!

EDIT: I got confused, being at a Windows computer, and so gave the wrong copy & paste shortcuts. You should be using the CMD key, not CTRL (the CMD key is the one with the loop-de-loops symbol on it). So CMD-c to copy and CMD-v to paste.

The Documents -> Split command will break an existing document into smaller chunks. Once you’ve done that, you can drag and drop or use the Documents -> Move -> Right command to push the new document down in the hierarchy, which will allow you to give it different formatting from the parent document.

Katherine

Thanks to all who replied.
I tried kwms’ suggestion of spliting and stacking the scene onto its chapter ©. See Binder screenshot.
But when compiling, I can’t get all chapters to yellow out. It’s either all chapters minus C, or C minus the other chapters. I tried playing with the different Levels in Formatting without success. See Contents screenshot when compiling without C yellowed. Unitilted Document refers to indented scene under C.

So this didn’t work any better than my cut and pasting, as I explained in my query. Can any kind soul point out what I might be doing wrong?
Screenshot 2016-06-17 15.33.37.png

The problem you’re seeing is that your compile settings for the “stack” that is document “c” is different from the compile settings for the documents that aren’t stacked such as a, b, d, Dear Reader, etc… If you can understand my instructions above, then you’ll be most of the way to what you want. If not, please ask for clarification and hopefully someone can chime in (I may not be around for a few days).

Good luck!