Additional export options ...

A couple of enhancements, if they would be possible:

The first is, I hope, straightforward. Currently, in the Footnotes pane of the Compile dialog, you have the option to “Use period and space instead of superscript in markers”. Could another option be provided “Use period and tab instead of superscript in markers”?

The second is perhaps less easy. In the Separators pane, between Text and Folder, you have the options “Single return”, “Empty line”, “Page break” and “Custom”. Would it be possible to provide an option “Section break” or perhaps more usefully “Section break new page”, or is the reality that there are no standard RTF codes for different section breaks?

Thanks for considering.

Mr X

Hi Mark,

There RTF codes for section breaks, but the trouble is that this would only apply to one format, and sections are very difficult to hack in to the existing RTF exporting code in a flexible manner. Also, when you force recto or verso pages, and certain other compile options, Scrivener will add section breaks to the RTF code to achieve these features (which is part of why it would be difficult to add further options for this). Adding full section break options would also introduce other problems, such as the possibility of even more options for how page numbering is restarted, and so on, so this is left to the external word processor.

As for period and tab, the problem here is inserting the tab stop correctly in overridden formatting, although it’s not something that’s impossible. I don’t think I’ve seen this sort of formatting very often, though - would you mind telling me what sort of document this is needed for?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for responding.

This magnum opus will, I hope, become a book on issues in translating Chinese texts into English confronting Chinese native speakers. The first part will contain: sections on the cognitive and semantic aspects of the relevant English syntactic pitfalls, and how the same meanings are conveyed within Chinese; a section on English text structure, coherence and cohesion together with a comparison of Chinese text structure. The second part will consist of some 8 or 9 — at the moment — example texts with an introduction, the Chinese source text, and one or two annotated reference translations.

The notations will be endnotes, occurring immediately after the reference translations of each text in turn. NWP has a setting whereby endnotes occur before a section break, which is what I would like to happen, so I need to have a “Section Break New Page” immediately following the reference translations.

When I export, say, three of the finished texts with their reference translations, the endnotes all appear at the end of the whole document numbered consecutively … over 120 of them. At the moment I put in a custom separator that I can search for in NWP to replace it with the section break. The problem is that the replace with “Section Break New Page” doesn’t work properly … it puts in the section break and starts a new page, but the endnotes remain at the end of the document until I go back and manually replace each section break with a “Section Break New Page” from the menu, at which point they move to the desired position and are numbered accordingly.

It’s just that I prefer my endnotes to have a hanging indent, so the first line has the marker number followed by a period, and then a tab so that the text lines up left justified under that margin. Perhaps it’s not standard, but when you have many of them, including some running over two or three paragraphs, it’s easier to read. My current practice is to begin each inspector footnote with » (Shift-opt-|) and then do a “Replace all”, replacing <space »> with . Not onerous, but it’d be nice not to have to do it; but if it is problematical, it’s no great deal for me.

I had a suspicion that might be the case. Again, it was just an idea — which others might have found useful — of saving effort and time when I’ve exported the whole caboodle.

:slight_smile:

Mr X