Additional Meta-data

Can you tell me if the option for additional, user controlled, meta-data is expected in the next release? Running a spread sheet along beside Scrivener so that I can create additional tags, and having to copy scene information back and forth, somewhat defeats the purpose of Scrivener. Especially when the spread sheet ends up in a window in back of Scrivener and I forget about it, and then can’t remember what I’ve finished, and what I have yet to do, and have to go back and reread just to figure it out.

One option I see right now, short of purchasing a Mac, is to buy a second monitor so that I can keep the spreadsheet open on that monitor but continue to write on my main screen. But I won’t need to worry about such things if additional meta-data will be available soon.

Kindest regards,

Doug

I’m not sure what the ETA is on that, but since it was a 2.0 Mac feature it might be a ways off yet. One other thing you could try right now is expanding the roll of keywords. This isn’t always the best approach though. I haven’t included the breakdown between keywords and custom meta-data in the Windows PDF, but a way I describe it is: if you need a lot of different bits of data along a single axis, then a column like in a spreadsheet is better, but if a lot of items use similar bits of data then keywords are quite good for that. So if the actual cells in your spreadsheet have a lot of repeating information, keywords might work well for you. If they have things like chronology information, or something else that is bound to be unique for nearly every single section, then keywords would be next to useless. Freeform data entry in the synopsis would be better for that.

AmberV:

Thanks for the response. In my current story, my protags each have several identities, and are trying to hide from various people. I keep track of who is aware of whose id on a scene by scene basis. I track who has what implements on a scene by scene basis - gun, knife, cell phone, etc. Don’t want someone to drop their cell phone in the lake in scene 7, and then make a call in scene 12. I also use the spreadsheet to keep track of things such as: Which scenes have had a dialog edit pass. Which have had a tension edit pass. Which have plot related issues and need a consistency edit pass.

Keywords could certainly work for some of the above, but I don’t find them as helpful as having a number of user defined columns. I also like that the outliner allows visibility across the entire project, and I can get a visible measure of where things are. In my spreadsheet, I am using color coding, and so get a visual feel for the state of the novel.

Otherwise, love the program!

Thanks,
Doug