Advice on a workflow for Scrivener+Windows

I travel nearly every week and my employer’s OS of choice is Windows. I have Scrivener installed on my Macbook and I am very productive on it when I am home. Now I could lug my Macbook with me whenever I travel, but that would get old really quickly. I’m debating getting a Hackintosh Dell Mini 9 with OSX on it, but I’m curious to hear any stories from fellow L&L’ers about their workflows when working with Windows and Scrivener. I’m using Dropbox for my Scrivener files and could theoretically edit the RTF files on my Windows laptop, but I haven’t looked at the .scriv file package to see if there is a way to make sense of the package.

Any tips for me?

This subject comes up often; did you search the forum? :open_mouth:
Basic tips: always ZIP your Scrivener files before saving anywhere.
Including, most of all, Dropbox.

The most recent advice I gave:
Make a PDF of your key Scrivener documents.
(Gather them by using Edit Scrivenings)

Then on Windows, write only RTF files.
They will transfer easily back to Scrivener.

For Windows apps, see the “Links” pages of the Scrivener site.
At the bottom (appropriately), see Writing Software for Windows.
PageFour looks pretty good to me.
literatureandlatte.com/links.html

I did search the forum but I didn’t find something in the order of workflows. I’ll have to take a look at the zipping issue. I guess people are having issue with Dropbox? Hmm…I’ll have to research that.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll keep looking around.

Look for these search terms:
workflow
Dropbox
Windows
netbooks

Lots of buyers of netbooks are trying to figure out how to use Scrivener on them.

This is the most recent of the threads to which druid is referring.

H

Edit re DropBox: DropBox is a good and useful service which a number of people on this forum, including me, use every day. The issue seems to be that network drives, of which DropBox is an example, may not handle file packages, which Scrivener makes, especially well if they’re left unzipped. Reading this sticky thread is recommended.

Thank you for the links. I have already read both of them. I’ve been using Dropbox for Scrivener for over a year and I’ve never had a problem because I’m careful about how often I save and careful that I don’t have two copies of Scrivener opening the same files at the same time. The EULA for Scrivener states that you shouldn’t run two copies of the installation at the same time, right? Well, at least that’s true for a single license.

I’m starting to lean towards just carrying my Macbook all the time or getting a Hackintosh. I considered getting an Alphasmart or something similar, but I need access to my research and characterization notes which are in my Scrivener project.

Anyway, thanks again.

Please reread the threads on dropbox, USB, and other types of external storage (including Time Machine). The issue is NOT your saving, running 2 copies, or anything other than a fundamental design incompatibility between high write package based storage and these types of replication/storage media. Neither is at fault, but they don’t play nice nice with each other. Kind of like matches and gasoline. You really need to be careful when you use them together.

There are a number of posts that explain how to be certain you don’t get burned.

I’ll be putting archive zip versions on DP and nothing else. If I get a netbook I can just work locally with a cloud sync of the zips. Would be nice to be able to automate the zip archive so it runs periodically but it’s easy enough within Scrivener.

Thanks.

That is very safe and the recommended way of using dropbox.

It might be (key point) easier to use USB and an export to RTF/doc.