Advice on Project Component Management?

I’m still a new user, and I find I’m not sure how best to go about my current project.

I’m working on a magazine article based on a set of background notes organized into a number of distinct categories.I’ve created a series of notes documents which will serve as raw material for the article and also as project documentation, for future reference and fact-checking on the final draft. I have each note category set as a top-level document in the Binder; some of them have sub-categories. I am now ready to start writing the actual article.

I want to use a lot of the material from my notes. I know I can edit and rearrange the notes sections to structure my article, but I don’t want to lose anything that’s there. I want to keep my notes documents as they are - they not only have a lot of useful background that won’t make it into the article, but they’re also chronological, so I don’t want to cut or rearrange them. I want to create the article draft using this material, but at the same time keeping the original notes documents undisturbed. I also want to take full advantage of Scrivener’s tools for editing and rearranging - but again, only on the draft text, not the notes text.

I know I could create a new document for the article text, and just copy all the notes material into it. But that’s cumbersome, and then I couldn’t edit it Scrivener-style, as distinct chunks of text. I suppose I could create an entire parallel document structure, completely duplicating the notes material, and then edit one copy as the article draft and leave the other copy as my notes records, but that also seems cumbersome.

Suggestions?

Hmm, how about dragging the whole lot into the Draft folder and switching off all of their “Include in Compile” flags? You can do that real fast in the Outliner by holding down the Alt key and clicking on a checkbox with the column turned on. Then you can either split off the pieces that should go into an article (so split before and after the visible chunk, so you end up with three items—notes+draft+notes), or just make new items below the relevant note file and copy the text in you need to start it off. To make this easier on yourself, you could turn on label tinting in the View/Use Label Color In/ sub-menu, and set up a label for draft pieces. That way you can see at a glance what is notes and what is article text.

The ability to switch off the compile flag on a file is precisely for this use case, where you want your visible document text to be annotated by note files right in the context where they belong, rather than off in the Binder somewhere else.