After unexpected crash, can't reopen, but Terminal gives a message about running zsh?!

Hey, wondering if you kind souls can help me with this. I have a Macbook Air, M1, 2020, running macOS Big Sur 11.7.9.

My Scrivener is probably 3.3.3, as I have it on automatic update, but since that’s fairly recent, maybe 3.3.2.

I wasn’t even in Scrivener, but in another window, Firefox, probably my Substack, tried to widen the browser with my track pad, and evidently unleashed something… I could see a part of Scrivener open, and I think I went from Firefox to the exposed part of Scrivener, when I tried to widen the browser, because Scrivener suddenly crashed. I think I swiped right while pressing the track pad down to move, but went off the window onto Scrivener, instead of actually widening the window… so I don’t know what command I might have inadvertently told my computer.

I so want to take it back! But you know, sometimes we can’t do that. :cry:

I didn’t tend to it right away, because sometimes Scrivener will crash on me… I do keep it open for a long time, because I practically live in it.

When I tried to reopen it later, a little window pops up with this message:

“Scrivener quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple, Click ignore.”

I click Reopen, and it opens Terminal, and I’m like “What the hell is this??” And another window pops open with this message:

"Last login: Mon Oct 9 16:41:18 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.
Name of my computer:~ xxxxxx /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener ; exit;
Segmentation fault: 11
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]"

Ummmm, I’m not running anything!

WHAT DID I DO???

And more importantly how can I undo it? Scrivener won’t open for me. Not for the project I had open, not for any of my other Scrivener projects. My other apps don’t seem affected. No problem opening anything else. But I don’t want them. I want my Scrivener!

I closed the Terminal window, quit it, and kicked it off my dock, lol. I restarted my laptop, but it keeps coming back. Still can’t open Scrivener. Still opens Terminal every time I click Reopen with the same message. As many times as I click Reopen is as many of the same message I get.

I’ll email the report to Scrivener Support that my laptop sent to Apple, because it’s LONG in the hopes it may help.

Did I kill my Scrivener? :sob: I just relaunched my Substack publication, and am planning to serialize a book, so this could not have happened at a better time… :unamused:

Would it be easier to just download a new copy of Scrivener? If so, how do I remove this corrupted/murdered/pissed-at-me-and-now-won’t-talk-to-me copy, and make sure I don’t spread the bad vibes to the new copy?

Here’s my Substack publication, I’d really love to get back to it, as soon as possible, but I realize how busy you all must be. Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate when you can get to it.

~ demian
https://silentnomore.substack.com

There was a bug fix related to Scrivener crashing on Big Sur (which sounds a lot like what you experience), so just downloading and installing it (version 3.3.3) over the current one might already help.

1 Like

Okay! Thanks, will try that. :blush:

IT WORKED! Thank you. I was afraid to do that, but felt encouraged by your suggestion. And Scrivener opened for me. Appreciate you so much, November_Sierra, thank you! :hugs: :heart:

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! :+1: Would have been a very strange coincidence if you encountered a different fatal bug on Big Sur and an M1 machine. Way too specific.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I was actually afraid I broke it, lol. I had a really nice writing session afterward. Again thank you :heart:

1 Like